I Forge Iron

first hammer -welding slag hammer

MotoMike

I need a welding slag hammer and since they aren't too big,  thought it would be a good first hammer for me to try.  Have some 1 inch 5160  (or so I'm told) so decided to use a piece of it.  So here is  another tool from the cave man forge.  

forge212a.jpg

forge211a.jpg

forge210a.jpg

forge214a.jpg

forge213a.jpg

forge216a.jpg

Thanks MC.  It does feel good.  now I need to do some welding to put it to use.  I used my new dog head hammer to get it started and found that I quite like the dog head.  Found too that I think I prefer simple slab handles to the more rounded ovals.  seems I can index the hammer better.  

Looks like a good first hammer! I know you'll be proud every time you use it. 

The beak of it looks a little long compared to most other welding hammers, but I can see where it would come in handy for some welds.

Looks good Mike. I found I use a cross pein on the chisel end a LOT more than a straight pein. When I ran into a situation I needed a long pic I used a long punch I ground to a point. However I have a straight chisel chipping hammer in the welding box and use it now and then. 

Bearing in mind I'm only talking about what I like which is just a matter of taste. Few things feel as good as using a tool you made with your own hands. It's a good first hammer. Well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...