I Forge Iron

Tool steel blocks possible anvil

I stopped at the scrap yard today to see if I could find an anvil or piece of metal better than my one inch stainless plate on a stump. I found this injection die casting mold set that I believe is solid tool steel and weight about 150 pounds. I’m torn between just standing on end and using as is, or cutting it up and welding in a different orientation. I also grabbed a couple bars that I think were fork lift tines. I grabbed them figuring I could either use as a horn on the tool steel, or make a smaller horned anvil. Would I be better off cutting a slab of the tool steel and attaching to a mild base, or leaving it solid? The hammer is for size reference and is 8 lbs. I will mostly be making knives but I want to get into more traditional iron work, and any input and ideas as to what to do with these blocks will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

6602296F-4D91-4467-B034-5A1E0031595E.jpeg

F23E0C9D-067F-4042-A393-163EFD557DB5.jpeg

All kinds of possibilities there. I would be inclined to stand it on edge, mounted on a stump and use it for a while before changing it.

BTW welcome to IFI, if you haven't read this thread, I suggest it for getting the best out of the forum.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/48833-read-this-first/

If the two halves fit togeather tight like tgey shoud i would be inclined to stich weld them togeather with whatever rod i had but use a pre heat and post heat as doc is right welding toolsteel is an adventure but i have had good luck with non critical welds in places that wont hurt if they ( when they fail) 

i would not bother unless this gave me a bigger work surface 

otherwise i would just stand her on end and get to work

du

Yup, stand it up on edge for sure.  Down the road I think you will find loads of creative uses for those holes that will be on the side:

bending jigs, pivot point for a lever action hold down, plug in dies....just make sure it Ismaili mounted solidly so using the sides doesn’t cause a tip over.

I used it today for the first time to make a tool for work. I needed to make a hook for ripping heavy duty rubber seams. I used one of the locator pins to form the hook and it worked awesome. I knocked one of the pins out and they are also tool steel so I think I’m going to use 2 of them as punches or something. Any ideas on what to do with 1”x6” tool steel pins? I didn’t mount the block to a base yet but with the two pins knocked out of the bottom I’ll have the one inch holes to work with. Next step is a gas forge. I like using coal but I haven’t taken the time to make a solid setup so I have to rebuild something pretty much every time. Thanks for the input guys