I Forge Iron

Yeeeehaaaaaaaa my press is plumbed

JPH

Well all my 84 ton hydraulic press is now plumbed and ready to fill... I have a call into my "fluid connection" for 20 gallons of hydraulic fluid and that should be here in the next few days. After that gets here...I am going to squish things...

All this for fullers and "T" backs...

JPH

Hello:

No pics yet....I have been working on this thing for oh 8 years now...A very close friend talked me into building the blasted thing and he up and died before we could get it completed, this was a few years ago and well, that sorta ended the interest in getting it done..

So it just sat there in the corner, taunting me ever since...

Anyway, the man who plumbed the thing really went overboard on the hoses and fittings, but that's not a bad thing considering all the PSI that this thing will be producing...

JPH

One hundred and sixty eight thousand pounds. By golly JIM, when you go, you go whole hog. Don't you. GRIN

Nice to hear the press is about ready for the trial run..

BE CAREFUL. That thing is going to be POWER--FULL.

It could shoot a two pound piece of steel two hundred yards before it started to drop.

Chuck

Yeah...I tend to jump in both feet at once...the way I look at it is this..if you are going to do something..DO IT..

I have used hydraulic presses before, the last time was when I was in University, that was years back...

Frankly all I want this for is fullering, "T" backs and centre ribs. I do not like the way they draw out laminate, if makes the patterns appear differently. Too much "fluid dynamics" for me, and if you use drawing dies, they are a bit slower than my LG.

Still, the fullering and centre ribs alone, it will pay for itself shortly.

I started this beast when my dear friend Bob Engnath talked me into building one. I truly loved that man...we use to get into some serious trouble together at various knife shows...He, his wonderufl wife Stevie and us would really run amok...we had a blast...

Anyway, he got me into this thing and when he suddenly passed on..well that sorta knocked the wind outta this project for a good while, more than a few years in fact. The thing just sat there, awaiting plumbing....well I finally got connected to a fellow who runs a heavy equipment hydraulic repair company and he came out and plumbed it for me...he went way overboard on the fittings and hoses but like I said..that isn't a bad thing.

So once I get the one hole filled/plugged in the bottom of the tank (which I just got the plugs for yesterday..) and some fluid I will have a combination "Squishing and BBQ Party"...all I gotta do is figure out how to get the fluid from point "A" to point "B"..Nothing really difficult...

Once I get it running I am really going to have some fun..no more hand hammering in fullers....yeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaa....

JPH