I Forge Iron

Post vise stand

jlblohm

I made this stand for my post vise the other day and figured i would share. The base is filled with scrap nails, sand and used motor oil. I am going to weld on flat stock around the edges so things dont roll off.

20180802_212440.jpg

I guess you don't plan to grab a 1/2" piece of stock 3' long and bend it in a full circle in that vise.  It's ok most of my vises have the same issue; but it is a possible usecase for a postvise. (So I have one that has free space behind one end of the jaws...)

No plans for anything like that. I borrowed the idea from steve prillwitz of matchless antiques. Every time im on ebay i check out what he is selling and all of his hand tools are setting on a vise stand similar but not as big. I just used what i had. 

What's the base for your stand?  It looks like a fairly short radius which would reduce the torque you can apply to the jaws. Also, instead of flat stock, consider chain. This is my "portable" stand back when I made it. The chain idea was stolen and works great to keep tools confined and is easy to sweep of scale or other dirt off. I'd give the guy credit for the idea, if I could remember where I stole it from. 

Hawk

image.jpeg

Hi guy’s,

AMHO -the tool is called a post vice. So please, please enlighten me. I thought (and dad teach me) the little/huge helpers have to be mount against a post to have a good & steady back bone for all the brutal force we abuse them.

Of course the boys have a their own posts to take care of the forces and guide them safely to the ground (along the posts they mounted on). Attached some pictures of my three babies and there attachments.

‘JC’, I used them wrong for the last 35 years, what have I done …………..:wacko:

Dear gents, don’t take it personal, this is my kind of German/Dutch/Belgium sense of humour and maybe the curmudgeons teach me that I’m wrong, -or a maybe a hint to rethink the design with the free unsupported vice post ;)

Your sincerely, Hans

DSC00613.JPG

DSC00614.JPG

DSC00615.JPG

6 hours ago, Hans Richter said:

Dear gents, don’t take it personal, this is my kind of German/Dutch/Belgium sense of humour and maybe the curmudgeons teach me that I’m wrong, -or a maybe a hint to rethink the design with the free unsupported vice post ;)

Hans ... there is no "right" nor "wrong" way to use tools most of the time ... well, unless you use a running grinder as a hammer I suppose :P  It's all about the result. Those antique post vices were designed to be fitted to a post firmly set in the ground ... not surprisingly, and have the added advantage of free space all around to either twist or hammer from any position. Can you bolt them to a bench? Sure, if you don't mind losing the ability to walk around the post and value the horizontal space more. I prefer to have a little tool table on wheels I can roll around to the anvil or the post vice and have the anvil and the vice free of clatter. If your shop is on dirt, you will need bigger wheels on your tool cart, but still feasible.

But that is me. I wouldn't dream to tell others how to set up their tools.