I Forge Iron

I passed

I passed my journeyman test last weekend (well actually I still need to wait for the result of the written exam). We started on Friday with 2 hour written exam followed by first forging session. We were supposed to make two items, a shackle and a candle holder. The catch was that the material for the candle holder was CrNiMo steel. Its a real PITA to forge. The shackle was made out of copper. We were given 5 five hours to finish those two. I made it just in time.

On Saturday we were supposed to make tongs+a forge welded ring for them, a square punch with a wooden handle, splitting chisel/axe and a nail header (the punch was used for this). Seven hours of forging. This a bit easier day, I finished well ahead of the time limit.

On Sunday the items were a fairly pair of hinges+nails for it and a barn swallow. The tools made on Saturday were supposed to be used for making the hinges. Again seven hours of forging. I didn't have time to finish the swallow completely, but it was still accepted.

The challenge was to make all the items within the time limits, but also to meet the drawings and measures we were given. For example, the size of the hole in the nail header was spesified to be 5.5mmX5.5mm. 0.5mm accuracy isn't very common in forging. Working under the watchfull eyes of the evaluators didn't help either. I was totally worn out (both physically and mentally) on Sunday night. But happy. :D

AWESOME! and Congrats. How long did you apprentice? I would love to be able to train under a Master for an extended period of time, but alas, that would be a luxuary I could not afford as my smithing is mostly a hobbie, at least right now anyway. Great to hear of your accomplishment! NOW, let see some of your work! :)

I haven't done any apprentice. I've taken a course that is meant for training for the test. The course lasts from September to May, and there is forging 4 weekday nights and two Saturdays per month. I didn't feel ready after the first year, so I'm just finishing my second year now. We've done only small stuff: tongs, punches, drifts, chisels, axes, candle holders, snuffers, fireplace accessories...

Right now this is only a hobby for me. I'm setting up a forge this summer and I'm hoping blacksmithing to be at least a part time job for me in the future.

We didn't get the test pieces yet. They are keeping them in for some unspesified period. We will have the last course meeting on Wednesday, and I'll try get a picture of them then.

Very nice and congratulations. I'm just now starting to get some more time in my shop, and I'm a total n00b hobby smith for the most part, it would have taken me too long to forge all that stuff for certain. Heck, I made a simple paper towel holder yesterday with a rose on one end, a few simple bends, and a scroll on the other end and it took me over 2 hours !