I Forge Iron

need help with coking

my forge is about 4 wide and 8 inches long. i was really wonder if it is ther heat or the flames that get rid of the impurities. The real problem is that the black smoke worries my father. i forge outside in my drive way . my dad is worried about the smoke hurting my lungs i told him that if i stay on the right side of the wind i will be fine because i don't breath in the smoke but he is still worried as any fother would be. so if i could make like a double boiler so the fire doesn't reach the coal but the heat does. if you have any other suggestion that would be awsome.

Poke a hole in the top of the coal and let the fire escape like a volcano. It will burn the smoke. A couple of pieces of wood, sticks, paper on top of the fire will burn the smoke also. Remember, you can smoke, but you DON'T have to inhale (grin).

If you're ever over Asheville way, Blacksmith Depot / Kayne & Son sells straight coke.

I have used it, and it is nice, but I like the way the green coal binds together as it "cokes up".

You gotta keep the air going to keep the coke burning.

Don

Look into going with real chunk charcoal, (not briquettes!), remember charcoal was the only fuel used for forges for the first thousand years of the iron age and has been used ever since even when coal was introduced. Takes a lot less air.

To coke you *have* to drive off the volatiles and they are bad to breathe so a "double boiler" set up still produces the toxic gasses only without the possibility of burning them off to decrease the smoke output.