I Forge Iron

Hello from Upper Peninsula of MI

Traci Wall

Hi. We are just getting started. My youngest son wants to learn how to make weapons, and build his own forge/business. I have a question which would be best to buy and hardest to find an anvil or a 4ft solid cone? I am not sure if I can afford to get both. :-)

Well I've been smithing 37 years without a 4' cone; but started using an anvil day one.  Look up the improvised anvil thread here.  You should be able to get a good bladesmithing anvil for under US$100; of course it won't be a London Pattern anvil---but then folks have been smithing blades for 3000 years on anvils that are not London Pattern anvils.  (Look on youtube for National Geographics "Living Treasures of Japan" for the section on sword forging...look at the anvil they are using!)

Can you attend SOFA's Quad-State this year?  Troy Ohio (just above Dayton OH) You can camp onsite to hold costs down and there will be hundreds of anvils and piles of tools there.

I plan to drive in from NM.

Hi. Thank you I looked up SOFA, wow... :) maybe not this year but will for sure be following.  I was in a rush for answers because I am bidding at an online auction with lots of smithy stuff. As it stands the prices jumped over my head. lol. I am going to love going through everything on here. SO excited to learn.

Good Morning Traci,

A Blacksmith can make all their own Tools by using some sort of Anvil. Anvils are the main thing they purchase.

Forget about which Tool is the best, each person will have their own priority. In the beginning, start simple. Tool needs change with whatever is being made, NOBODY will have "ALL" Tools, some may come close.

Welcome to the addiction, there is a beginning, there is no end!! Sign up your son to take some Classes from an experienced Smith or Blacksmith Association. Forget about making weapons, Learn how to make his own Tools. With this knowledge he can waste all kinds of effort learning "weapons". First learn like 'Grade one', a slow progression to 'Grade 12'. The biggest mistake people do is to start off with a Negative project, a Sword. That is a must have (in young boys minds) and it is never finished, they loose interest and everything is wasted. Start off by making Tools and finishing them so they can be used, this is a Positive project

Look up a group in your area and your son will enjoy the Journey. Stay Positive!!

Neil

Greetings Traci, 

Look up MABA .. Michigan Artist Blacksmith Assoc. Our Michigan group has many members in the UP and they would be more than willing to help you along. I’m in the lower near Cadillac and the forge is always  open. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

Welcome aboard Traci, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll find out how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance. I married a UPer and visited twice! We're almost brothers eh? :rolleyes:

Anvil, I've been doing this stuff off and on for better than 50 years now and have never had a use for a mandrel cone. They look good in the shop though so if you stumble on one cheap and want a cool decoration is the time to consider buying one. AFTER you have the equipment and tooling you NEED!

You aren't going to be making rings at a rate of say 50 - 100 per hour and need a fast way to true them up. A little practice and the skill of truing up: hooks, rings, scrolls, etc. on the anvil is pretty easy. Final dressing is on a wood block with a wooden mallet. A good mallet and end grain wood block and you'll never need more than 4"-5" of anvil face. 

It's the skills of the smith that do all the work, not the tools they're just refined dirt. My recommendation for your son is "learn to blacksmith." Once you know how to smith then you can make anything you want. Knives and swords only require you learn heat management and heat treatment for the particular alloy. ALL the rest is just blacksmithery. Honest a competent blacksmith can forge and finish a knife with little if any learning curve. However ask a swordsmith to make you a suffolk latch or matching, latch and cabinet hinge set. 

Frosty The Lucky.