I Forge Iron

new guy from idaho

idacal

I was told about this site over on another forum when I asked a diy forge question. I haven't ever been around forging but have bent big metal with rosebuds if that counts. I have read for a couple of days getting the site figured out. bIL is a potter so he had some bricks and kaowool. I tried to get a piece of 4140 hot enough with a weed burner inside a insulated chamber could only get to bright orange and realized there is more to it than just that. I have a larger size shaper that Im wanting to modify some # 5 lathe tooling to run on it  make them more of a gooseneck style. just saying hi and Im probably going to be asking some dumb questions.

Welcome aboard.  Fair warning, the people on this site have no problem answering any question thrown their way, but they WILL let you know it when the answers are easily had on older threads because they’ve already been discussed at length.  If you respect the amount of time some people here put in to answering questions and providing guidance then you will love it here.  If you want quick answers and don’t intend to learn a little on your own the curmudgeons will rightfully get cranky!

We are a big, happy, and terribly disfunctional family here on IFI.  The amount on knowledge here on blacksmithing and essentially any topic you can dream up is mind blowing.  Enjoy!

Lou

We suggest you pack a lunch and a cold drink and start reading on a section of the site that interests you. Do not worry about the number of posts in a thread, it is just a discussion with each post being another piece of information.  When you finish that section move on as you follow your interest. 

Welcome to the site.