I Forge Iron

Happy accident

DuEulear

So i made myself a chefs knife out of o-6 tool steel being lazy i did not want to drag out the forge just to heat treat one knife so i grabbed my torch and went with a simple diffrential heattreat not expecting anything other than function.... this is what i got.

Once i realized i had a hamon... my first all be it boring as no clay was involved i had to go all out on the fittings.

I went with solid copper scales soldered to the tang then hammered and polished the blade was etched in my vinigar picle bath i use for removing scale 10 min then rubbed with silk then 10 min soak anout 6 cycles

Tell me what ya think

du

167DB4C5-2CF3-4945-8DBA-0C64629821C8.jpeg

9E6F9BBB-AB36-40AC-B1B5-50CB78E93FDB.jpeg

4D02D3D3-8C01-46D3-B354-44F5E6EBB3B0.jpeg

936FDDEE-36CC-4C3A-A06F-2A8452E9F26B.jpeg

Funny this knife did loose an inch to a stress fracture in the tip that was not visable untill i had it at a 300 grit finish ( i dont remember dropping it) lol soni had to regrind and undo all that pretty polish work grrrr.

chopped up a bunch of veggies for dinner the other day and she still shaves like a straight razor 

better than my commertial vg 10 chefs knife can do ^.^