I Forge Iron

Peter wright?

I suspect it to be a peter wright with the markings on the side i just dont have a clear pic of the markings but wil try to take one tomorrow. I payd R1000.00 (south african rand) for it which is about 73 usd in todays exchange rate. And i think its about 180 kg's which is around 400 lbs.

Regards

Rayner

20180630_130708.jpg

20180630_130311.jpg

20180630_130246.jpg

20180630_130732.jpg

20180630_130301.jpg

Beautiful anvil and you got it basically for free.  I believe I can see the 1 indicating 112 pounds as the first number on the left side.  The rest should come quite clear with a wire wheel as Stash pointed out.  Others have said that anvils are hard to find in South Africa so you really made out.  Congrats.

I think that first number is a "4", which would make this at least ~450 lbs. 

Rayner, just so you know once the numbers become more clear, Peter Wright and other contemporary English makers used the hundredweight system, where the first number equals hundredweight (112 lbs), the second number equals quarters of hundredweight (28 lbs), and the third is simply pounds. Thus my own Mousehole (the Undisputed King of Anvils) is marked 1*1*8 and thus weighs 148 lbs (112 + 28 + 8). 

Thanks for all the great info guys. I still have to try and take a clear pic of the remaining markings on the side. I get home when its already dark every day. Does the "H" that is stamped on the base mean anything?

Regards

Rayner

Definitely says 4 . 0 . ? (Single digit). I can make out AND above the 0. Peter Wrights with ENGLAND stamped on them were made after 1910.

The sides were often used to test the hardness of chisels and punches being made.

Its not unusual for the logos and numbers to have been lightly stamped and to have been obliterated over the years.

Yes the last number i can also not make out. So it would be safe to say that its in the 450lb range. I can also make out some of the "solid wrought" stamped in a circle around the 0