I Forge Iron

400 lb Fisher anvil plate seperation

Hey new here and what not. 

I aquired the anvil yesterday and upon further inspection found that the plate was beginning to seprate from the base. Due to its size i was curious if itd still be okay to work on with the crack and Also if it is worth it to repair? It Starts near the front of the anvil and runs about 6 inches down the side. The crack doesnt even come close to the plate until the last inch or so. on the opposite side there is a corresponding crack 5 inches lower the the other one. The face is dead above the crack but fortunately enough theres plenty of room to work around it. I can post photos later when im home but if anyone can shed some light on this id be eternally grateful.

The problem on working on an anvil with the face delaminating is that it tends to propagate the crack. I certainly hope the price you paid reflected this MASSIVE ISSUE! (Like buying a used car without checking that the engine and transmission works)

My first chance at a large anvil had a similar issue:  Drove an hour+ to get to the auction, found the anvil and tested the face and heard the terrible terrible "BUZZ" instead of TING--(not a Fisher which will be more of a thwap when in good shape), turned around and drove home...

Now as to repairing. Fishers are made with a cast iron base with a tool steel top plate on the body and horn. Cast iron is a LOT harder to repair CORRECTLY, and even then it can still have issues. If you have to farm out the repairs they will be very expensive.

You have a hardy hole, horn, and some real este left. Use it as is and try to avoid the damaged area.

Keeping in mind that the vibrations from any hammering you do (even on the good sections) may make things worse. I don't know what you paid for it, but you might want to consider selling it for what you can get and buying a smaller anvil in better shape.

Value is subjective and entirely dependent on what someone wants to pay and why. I'm not actively in the market for an anvil, so I don't know what prices are like these days, especially in your area. You might ask IFI member njanvilman for his thoughts on what it might be worth to a collector.

Probably be cheaper to buy another anvil than to repair that one correctly.  I would either use that one to destruction or sell it to someone who wants a large display anvil and not a using anvil.  

The gap in picture 1 didn't bother me as much as the crack in picture 2 that looks like it has propagated.

If someone sold it to you as being in good condition I might try to get your money back as it isn't.

Probably worth a couple hundred dollars as a display piece---think of it as a large advertising piece out front of a smithy!  You could get more if you try to defraud someone who doesn't know anything about anvils...and I'd rather not associate with you if you go that route.   If someone defrauded you I would go to small claims court!

Having known a friend who tried to mill an ASO flat and drill and tap a face to it; I can say it never worked well compared to an anvil in decent shape.

How much did you pay for it?

16??

It could be , depends on how it is done and how it gets used. I would drill and tap on either side of the crack ends across the face, and use 3/8" at a minimum bolts. The idea is to stop the crack from extending any further by stopping the movement.

The price for anvils without catastrophic damage has NOTHING to do with the price of anvils that have such damage.  Like looking at the price of mint condition used cars to determine the price of a totaled wreck that has been crushed into a cube...

I am sorry; but if you paid US$1600 for it you have had a very intense learning experience in not buying something without a through inspection by someone who knows something about them.  (I always take used cars to a mechanic for inspection before buying as I am not an expert on cars and I have been driving them for 45 years).

If that was represented to you as being in good condition and not "what you see is what you get": try to get the seller to take it back and if not: Small Claims Court!   I am not familiar with VA law on the requirements of goods being usable for the purpose sold though...

As others have stated that is far more than it is worth. Was it through an online ad? If so get a screenshot if the ad has not been removed yet. If it was Craig's list search the surrounding communities. Sometimes an item is listed in several areas and they forget to delete all of them.  If you have any texts of the conversation, save them.  If you have anything from the seller saying it is in great condition , save it.

Then you run into will the seller just play dumb and say they know nothing about anvils, and just priced it for the going rate in the area? This could be a difficult one to fight, but we are talking about a significant amount of money paid for an item not in good condition.