I Forge Iron

Forging camshaft

Coyotebait

Hey guys, new smith here trying to solve a problem I'm having forging with a camshaft from a 350.  The technique I thought would work best on it was to hammer all the lobes on the shaft down to a similar size as the shaft is itself and then work it to the desired shape from there.  What has been happening is I'll get the lobe squared off, and about halfway between the size it is and the size I want and then it snaps off the shaft.  I don't let it cool very much trying to prevent it from happening, but it doesn't seem to matter much.  Does anyone have any experience using a camshaft?  My forge is a homemade charcoal bottom blast that seems to get the steel up to some pretty good temps.  Not sure what other info to provide to you guys.  Oh, is it possible that there is a nitride coating on the lobes, and if so what's the best way to remove it?  TIA.

I've only tried bending a couple cam shafts for sculptural work. One that was machined bent for me, one that was cast broke off where I tried the bend. I never did spark test them and I'm thinking it might help get a clue as to what it is. 

Do you know what yours is? 

Also is there a reason you are trying to forge it. Seems like it would be way easier to get steel in a better starting size and shape to the project you plan to make. 

BTW is that the 350 marine engine or a 350 truck engine or the Honda 350 motorcycle or the Rocket 350 or ????   Date?

You know what you have We don't!  What is it that you want to do with it?

I see that some camshafts are made from chilled iron castings and so would not be forgeable., other alloys listed are 8620 (often used as a case hardening base steel, it's low carbon), tool steel (total unknown!), M4 (VERY HIGH CARBON but as a HSS very hard to forge and heat treat!!!), 9310 (again low carbon), EN40b (which has a top Carbon content of .30 and so NOT a good blade steel if that is what you are trying to do.)

350 truck engine is all I know.  A friend of mine gave me a few of them to play with, and my initial idea for it was to forge it into a sword, strictly for display, and leave an untouched section of lobes for the handle and to show where it started.  I haven't noticed any markings on it, not sure they would mean much, but I can check it this weekend sometime.  

Chances are high in the failure of your project idea. If you Can even forge it the lobes are more likely than not to want to create cold shuts forging them into the same diameter as the shaft section. Cool idea but something that would be a higher skill level IF possible with your chosen piece. 

If it's not dangerous have fun and play. See what happens if you like. Just read through the safety section of you will to do it safely. Learning more will save you a lot of time, energy, and money. 

Like I said my experience is only in trying to bend them for scrap metal sculpture work.