I Forge Iron

Handle Material

newedgeforge

Morning Everyone,

Does anyone know where I can get a decent price on deer antler material? A friend of mine has asked me to build him a utility knife, and wanted to have a hidden tang with deer antler handle.  The knife will be 9 inches total.  He wants  the handle to be about 5 inches in length.   I have been looking around different sites but not much luck.  Any suggestions?

Early spring is when deer shed their antlers. If you live near the forest you can hike around and if you are lucky, you can find sheds, but as 4elements said... for all we know, you might live in the middle of Antarctica, Death Valley or on a coral atoll in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Lol.

You live in Michigan and don't know anybody that hunts? GET OFF THE INTERNET AND TALK WITH PEOPLE!  Guy at my church gave me some massive elk racks to use for handles---too pretty to cut up so I gave them to my stepson for his mancave. Many hunters have a damaged rack or two they might be willing to part with.

(You might want to watch Escanaba in da Moonlight  to understand how weird I thought it was asking everyone in the world about a location specific issue...)

Moscow Hide and Fur is where I get stuff I can't source locally----pretty much Moose antler pieces...

The mice and other herbivores eat strange things like antlers etc.

But I suspect that they are doing so to get salt. Salt (NaCl),  is essential for our stomach acid,  (hydrochloric acid = HCl), and also blood fluid. The latter is a solution of mainly water with 0.9% salt, and other trace components.

Herbivorous animals are often forced to travel miles in order to eat at natural salt deposits.

That is the reason why farmers put salt lick bricks In their fields for their cows, sheep etc.

SLAG.