I Forge Iron

apprentise

SWE_Karl

Blacksmith Location Map is a place to start.

IForgeIron is visited by several fellows from Oz that may be better able to advise you as they live there.

Where are you located in Oz and how far are you willing to travel ? This makes some difference in the information you get back. After all, one fellow from Oz said that although it is an island, it is a BIG island. Something about being too far to drive to be able to fish from both the east coast and west coast in the same day. :shock:

Strine here Karl...Australian down to my bootlaces. Is the word you are looking for "Jackaroo". A jackaroo is a young bloke who works in the "Outback" on cattle stations or sheep runs. These are large farms or as the Americans say ranches. Some are a millions of acres in area where they run cattle at less than one to the acre. Lots of horses, lots of desert and they provide bed and lodging. There is usually some sort of blacksmith shop on each property since in the outback it is often a matter of self suffiency. You want it, you probably have to make it.

A jackaroo hopes to learn how to run a station and works at all sorts of jobs not just blacksmithing.

I know you were asking about Australian apprentice/helper jobs but thought I'd also point out this link to forging sites in your own country of Sweden:

http://katalogen.sunet.se/cat/business/corporations/crafts/forging_and_artist_blacksmiths

For Australia, try this:

http://jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook/default.aspx?PageId=AscoDesc&AscoCode=9929

If that doesn't help, do a Google search using a pattern such as:

Australia + farm + apprentice

I did a quick Google search for "jackaroo jobs". Here are two sites that talk about employment on station properties. If that's what you want. I say again a jackaroo does not dedicate all of his time to blacksmithing, in essence he is an apprentice Station Manager.

http://www.jumbuckpastoral.com/
http://www.pastoral.com/recruitment.html

Then I searched for "apprentice blacksmith australia" and found this

http://tinyurl.com/a5acxurl

You will need to put all this on one line with no gaps

It's an "Iron Art Traineeship" in Wagga Wagga (pronounced Wogga Wogga) which is in central New South Wales. Er don't ever call Wagga Wagga Wagga :wink:

Edit:url adjusted

True enough Thomo. But you shouldn't have any worries if your a fine upstanding citizen of your country, have a bachelor's (master's would be better) degree in something or other and a couple of trade certificates :lol: Otherwise hide yourself away in a leaky boat fit only to sail on a small lake, and even then only close to the shoreline and we will treat you like the queen no questions asked. The Government will provide your board and lodging for a couple of years in the desert which is what you are after and then you are home and hosed :x

Don't know what happened to the art iron job link cos it doesn't work for me now. Ah well :cry:

Ah! that's a neat trick. Try this

http://tinyurl.com/dxqxu

• 2 weeks later...

Have you considered contacting people closer to yourself? I am not sure about now, though the Rural Development Commission in England used to promote programs in all manner of fields: roof thatching, stone masonry, brick laying, cobbler, wheel wright, BLACKSMITHING and other trades that were threatened with extinction. Ten years ago, I spoke with a couple of fellows who were quite familiar with the program, had my life not been on a particular course (read as not much money in pocket), I would have gone myself.
You could also try to contact a business chamber of commerce in cities such as Stockholm, Heidleberg, Copenhagen, etc., and see if they still have a blacksmith shop registered there. If so, contact them and see if they could point you in a clearer direction.

Hey Lads and lasses, with apologies to Dorothea Mackellar, it's a sunburnt country, sweeping plains, ragged mountain ranges, droughts, flooding rains, far horizons, jewel seas, the beauty and the terror ...it's the wide brown land for Karl.

You have to be Australian to understand the impact Dorothea's "My Country" has on the populous.

http://www.imagesaustralia.com/mycountry.htm ... catchy tune eh?

Sentimentality and parochialism aside I thought Karl wants to work over here.

hi. i have tryed almnost everything her in sweden whit some great answers. But the point is: i dont want to stay in Sweden, and i dont want to go to England not even Europ or USA, i have always wanted to go ta Ozaustralian no mater what. One again, thanks for al the comments and tips of different lokations.

SWE_Karl ( whit a mad hangover )

Karl, you're young, probably fit and healthy, probably don't have evil tendencies and seem keen to work.

Just do it. Get on a plane and go, or as we would say "up stumps and leave"

Go to the Australian Embassy in Stockholm and discuss your wishes with them. They will advise on immigration etc.

Once you're in the country THEN start the search for work. There's plenty around if you're willing.

When you get here "give us a oi and I'll shout you a beer"

• 3 weeks later...
stipendier in swedeish

could this be a "Government Subsidy" or a "Sponsorship".

I'm still not sure of your intentions SWE-Karl. Are you coming for a working holiday or to stay for ever.

Ian is only on a tour I think, Like all good visitors he will eventually nick off home again :lol:

Strine: yes the word i was looking for is Sponsorship or like that anny way. my intentions is wery simmpel .. at least for me :)
i´m gooing to go down to australia and stay atleast for 3years and make som kinde of repotage, and work like xxxx

so al i can do now is, plan my travel and hope for an good answer frome the ambasy and the swedish goverment.

by the way: happy new year to every one, and thanks for your support.
swe_karl

• 1 month later...

G'day Ian,

I'll give you twenty minutes :wink: The first question asked of people getting off the plane is "So....how do you like Australia" We can be pretty dumb sometimes. A "country" is mostly the people, with some nice scenery and weather thrown in as icing on the cake.

Do you need directions yet? and can you handle a bit of celtic music as well as coal dust in your ears?

• 3 weeks later...

Strine has said it all better than I could.

Personally, I'm not sure of actual blacksmithing *jobs*, barring one or two exceptions, but there's no shortage of work for a backpacker on a work visa.

Well, if you're ever down the left hand side of the country, give us a shout!

P.S. if you ever get the chance, take the train from Sydney to Perth, and count the RR spikes, etc lying trackside along the way )there's a few)