I Forge Iron

ACBA Gate - side panel

This is as far as I've gotten working one of the side panels for the gate we've designed during the BS 202 at the American College of the Building Arts. I've managed to get the bottom panel and lock plate of the side panel I was working on finished. The second year students next year will finish it.

IMG_0248.jpg IMG_0480.jpg IMG_0484.jpg IMG_0493.jpg

That is some good looking work Bob, do you have a picture that shows the whole thing? In this picture, how did you get the one short horizontal square bar that is at the top of the design, inside the vertical bars? Does it have very short tenon's or are the vertical bars and horizontal bars dovetailed and forge welded?

6226.attach

Beautiful work, I especially like the tight scrolls and the center finial (for lack of a better word) could you describe how it was made?

Thanks for sharing your pics, I enjoy seeing how the work progresses.

Mark

Thanks everyone. I really liked working on it (despite all the times when I thought my brain was going to explode).

Beautiful work, I especially like the tight scrolls and the center finial (for lack of a better word) could you describe how it was made?

Thanks for sharing your pics, I enjoy seeing how the work progresses.

Mark

Mark, the beaded piece in the center (if that's what you're talking about) is made from 2 different sized collars welded onto the parent bar. The larger collar was 1/2" sq welded onto a 3/4" sq bar. The bar was then drawn down to 1/2" sq over 7 inches. A 3/8" sq collar was welded at 7" in a die. Heavy chamfers were forged onto the bar between the two collars. Then the flame was tapered, rounded and squiggled. Finally, the 1/2" round tenon was forged on it.

Looks great. Tell us how you did the joinery. Was it all traditional?

I've been interested in the school, but the price is pretty high.

Fair Winds Gerald

Gerald, all of the joinery is mortice and tenon, half-lap, collars or forge welds.

If you're interested in the school, call them up and talk to them. There may be scholarships available ;)