I Forge Iron

Brake material

Can anyone identify this material? It’s from the brake on my Massey mechanical. It is hard, it’s not rubber.  I think it needs renewing. Or I might just glue some leather on top, see what happens. 

F44FCB82-DBBF-4827-A3A7-07F388431B26.jpeg

63D8F886-5B1E-4E57-B7DC-11C08ABA4034.jpeg

The hammer and a photo of the brake drum below;

3BDC4946-344D-44EF-80E3-EC54A6D566B7.jpeg

D9F6919F-D429-4FF2-9F86-023542F49AB9.jpeg

don't know what it's made of but looks sort of like a clutch disk.  but if a brake, and old,  probably  asbestos.   since your considering gluing leather on it I thought I'd chime in.  none of the rivets are near being exposed, so there is some meat left on the disk.  is there provision for adjusting or shiming it to get it closer to the pressure plate?  

I was wondering if the material was identifiable so that I could have some idea of how deep the "tread" pattern was.

It does not contact the brake disc sufficiently to brake the hammer. Perhaps it is a problem that could be solved mechanically as you suggest, or by another means.

it looks like brake pad material that you can buy in sheets @ place's like a truck or heavy Eqt shop !

I us this for brake's on Lg farm field earagation  sprinklers 

that looks like its full !!! of grease or oil & wet ! its a brake should be dry to a point

buy some brake clean spray that should get it cleaner ?

PS or replace with new pad & rivet = copper or brass to steel piece thats what I do when needed 

On 6/12/2018 at 8:58 PM, IronWolf said:

buy some brake clean spray that should get it cleaner ?

Yep... then rough up the disk material with some 80 grit sand paper and clean & rough up the drum that is grease coated. There should be an adjustment to it to compensate for wear.

Iconing from the auto industry during the change from aspestos to non aspestos pads, I would suggest taking precautions.  We used soape and water and a mask when dealing with brake dust, so if you intend to rough them up with 80 grit I would do so wet, and rinse them down into a disposable container. 

Ulike modern materials I do not think the grease will cause a grabing issue. 

Lastly let’s look at the system that is seposed to apply the brake. Dose the brake disk push out to engage or dose the shaft the brake material is mounted to retract? I suspect the former. Exams the linkage to see how it is appied, as we wouldn’t want unnessisary drag. It looks like there may be a shaft for a lever on the right of the machine could that be for the linkage? It’s likely the adjustment was acualy in the linkage.

Many thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure what's gone on, perhaps it took a bit of a ding in transit, but the brake pad makes insufficient contact with the other brakey part. The only thing to be done is to bring make the pad thicker=bring the two plates closer together.

For interest, that disk in the last picture is part of a mechanism that goes forward to engage the clutch cone, and backwards to engage the brake. The brake (the part with the pad) rotates with the main shaft.  

8 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Take precautions sanding on it if it is asspestose, we used soapy water to wash down brake dust during the change over. 

What happens if you flip the disk over?

It's riveted on, and I'm not keen to take out the rivets to find out. Thanks for the advice re; asbestos.

I think I will try facing it with some leather, see what happens, otherwise send it off to the brake pad people to get re-done.

7 hours ago, Judson Yaggy said:

Free advice is worth every penny.  

Huh?

11 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

I would like to see some more pictures , and some details about the Massey. Stout looking hammer.

I'll post some stuff when it's properly up and running.

The hammer was made in 1948 for Seedland Bros., a manufacturer of chisels and plane irons in Sheffield. Ram is 1/2 Cwt.

The hammer is well broken in, shall we say? Well used but not abused, and built like the proverbial brick sh^thouse! 

Again, look at The linkage to senif it is adjustable befor trying to shim or install thicker pad material (modern materials will not work well in the presence of oil, it makes them grab very hard. This will accerae wear or lead to a fatigue failer). 

Honestly, being used to looking at clutch disks and brake shoes that didn’t look worn significantly and leather is not likely to work well.