I Forge Iron

Makers Mark Triangle with the letter C??

3 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Well a rough method is to see when the Company was in the anvil business.  I'll see if Postman listed the dates for Columbian.  Without a serial number, construction or configuration or logo change; it would be hard to narrow it down beyond that.

Take care; it looks like that anvil has been cornered and they can be vicious in that situation!

Haha logo you can see the c and what looks to be arm and hammer to the right. Company opened in 1923 was blacksmith  

thank you. 

Columbian anvils as far as I could find don't have serial numbers and very few identifying marks.

Manufactured by Columbian hardware Company,

The Columbian Hardware Co. was located in Cleveland OH and made blacksmiths anvils from about 1905 to 1925. After that they distributed a Swedish made version of their anvil for about 2 years. Columbian anvils were a top quality cast steel anvil with a machined and heat treated face.

Columbian marked their anvils with the C inside an upside down recessed triangle. They advertised that the base was always the same width as the anvil height for stability.

Your welcome. I just happen to have a 135 lb Columbian. It took awhile to find out what little info I have on them. Yours looks to be in great shape. Mine had one edge chipped up from cold horseshoeing. I'd love to have a 300 pounder but it is out of my price range right now with the current anvil prices.

Working small rings out near the tip of the horn could also result in a missed blow or two; but the ubiquity of flattened tips make me think it's due to a common occurrence with smiths over a wide range of subtypes.  (I have bicks for the hardy hole to work small stuff on; much easier than using the horn!)  People wanting to grind their anvil horns to a needle point are insane in my opinion! (Though I have seen a couple of anvils with a tennis or hand ball nose guard added to them.)