I Forge Iron

Makers Mark Triangle with the letter C??

The upsidedown triangle has the letter C inside of it. Anyone  have some info ??  weight is 233#, Face in good condition.  Is this anvil forged, with a hardened plate on top?  Is it soild all the way thru??

TY  for the response guys.  I am new to this game, and would like to buy a quality anvil at a fair price.  The face looks to be in good condition. Very small  limited chips on the edges.  The seller is asking 4$ per pound.  From my reasearch that is a fair price.  Cant find a new 200# er for near that cost.

Where would I find a 1/2'' to 1'' ball bearing to do a rebound test?

Anything I should check for when I go to view it?

Can't discuss the cost without knowing location---Singapore dollars?  Canadian Dollars? Australian Dollars, American Dollars?  All different.

I think that's HIGH if American dollars and would have to know the location, condition, style---Columbian did some double horned anvils for instance, weight, etc

Not know which of the 100+ countries participating on this forum on the World Wide Web all I can say is you can get large ball bearing other thataway. (however in the USA I'd suggest asking heavy equipment repair places, implement dealers, mechanics---especially truck mechanics)

BTW did you read the thread on improvised anvils?   there has been over 2000 years of blacksmiths smithing on things that don't look like a London Pattern Anvil and only about 200 years with them using London Pattern anvils in a fairly small subset of the world.  Far better to buy a chunk of steel from the scrapyard to forge on and spend the $100's on a good postvise and tongs.

7 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Can't discuss the cost without knowing location---Singapore dollars?  Canadian Dollars? Australian Dollars, American Dollars?  All different.

I think that's HIGH if American dollars and would have to know the location, condition, style---Columbian did some double horned anvils for instance, weight, etc

Not know which of the 100+ countries participating on this forum on the World Wide Web all I can say is you can get large ball bearing other thataway. (however in the USA I'd suggest asking heavy equipment repair places, implement dealers, mechanics---especially truck mechanics)

BTW did you read the thread on improvised anvils?   there has been over 2000 years of blacksmiths smithing on things that don't look like a London Pattern Anvil and only about 200 years with them using London Pattern anvils in a fairly small subset of the world.  Far better to buy a chunk of steel from the scrapyard to forge on and spend the $100's on a good postvise and tongs.

I am in the US. Just south of Seattle Wa.  In this area I have seen Price per pound much higher than 4$.  Thanks for the info on the ball bearing I will look into those location. It is not a double horn, I have pictures of it, and it is a London Pattern.  ( I would post a pic.. but it is offered on CL)

Are those high prices asking or selling prices? While you are in a higher priced area; have you used the TPAAAT?   We do get reports of folks getting good anvils at substantially reduced prices by getting off the net and using TPAAAT.  Buying anvils from folks trying to make money selling them is generally not the cheapest way to go...

Maybe I am thinking about this all wrong. From what I have read and heard, the more mass under the hammer the better. So my thinking has lead me to believe that bigger is better. So now that boils down to Price per pound, old versus new. Are the new anvils that more superior in quality and material than the better known older anvils?  

Used in good condition Columbian 230#      $920= $4  per pound.

This new list I will add $100 on the price for shipping

Mathewson 150#   $950 = $6.30 per pound

Rhino 240#   $1460=$6.00 per pound

Emerson 200#  $1500=$7 per pound

JHM  260#  $1450= $5.50 per pound

Nimba  site is down  But their 85#  I beleive is approx $950

So I know we are in some ways comparing apples to peaches... but am I out in left feild here??

Is the Columbian that much of a lesser quality than the new ones to justify the price??

Not necessarily. There is a couple factors to take into consideration. Columbian anvils are known to be quite hard which has its ups and downs. Ups would be hard for it to take a dent from a missed blow but that missed blow might catch an edge and chip it.

Newer anvils are tempered a little softer and the edges aren't as easy to chip but the face will take a dent.

7 minutes ago, JlBlohm said:

Any pictures of the Columbian?

Sure wish I could post some up.  The seller is running an add on the local CL.  From my understanding I am not allowed to post them up here.  I have looked at hundereds of anvils on line and seen the conditions they are in. On a scale from 1-100 this one IMO is an 85.  The face is flat.  the chips on the edges are less than 1/8 '' and very sparse.

I believe there is nothing to prevent you from copying the CL photo from CL to your device and then posting the photo here.

As I understand it this site does not exist to provide free advertising for others so by divorcing the photo from the sale you should be ok; Mods?  (I even think it would meet fair use rules...)

00A0A_ckChxuTVHvn_600x450.jpg

01010_lPWBkVy5O8A_600x450.jpg

01010_lPWBkVy5O8A_600x450.jpg

39 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I believe there is nothing to prevent you from copying the CL photo from CL to your device and then posting the photo here.

As I understand it this site does not exist to provide free advertising for others so by divorcing the photo from the sale you should be ok; Mods?  (I even think it would meet fair use rules...)

I was able to figure out how to post the pics  see above.  LOL

9 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Looks to be in excellent condition and should hang out at the upper end of the price range for your area.

I thought the same thing.  I am going to pounce!!

38 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

We won't remember this once leaving this thread, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show location because so many answers depend upon it.

There that's better. Done!!

• 1 year later...

I have an anvil with an embossed (not raised)

M on one side and the letter C in an inverted triangle on the other. I can carry it, but has to be in the hundred pound class, has a decent ring to it. Some chips and wear on the edges, face is pretty good. Wondering what I might have. Dad had it for many years

20 hours ago, JimNorman said:

Some chips and wear on the edges,

Welcome aboard... have you read this yet? READ THIS FIRST  It will help you get the best out of the forum with tips like editing your profile to show your location, how to post pictures and many others.

I hope you have read about not doing any grinding, milling or welding on the hardened face. We would love to see pictures of your Columbian anvil.

Edge damage is very common on anvils that were used; DON'T try to repair it!  Cast anvils tend to be a bit more prone to it and anvils used for cold shoeing can get positively ridgeback. (I have a Vulcan like that on my wall of shame---collection of abused/damaged anvils.)

Now I have attended several anvil repair days put on by a semi-local ABANA affiliate where folks who know how to properly repair anvils, (right preheat, right rod(s), right cooldown, etc) help others out.  Watched a professional smith/weldor/welding instructor re build an anvil face that had been milled till it was worthless---took him 5 hours using industrial equipment.

• 1 year later...

Well a rough method is to see when the Company was in the anvil business.  I'll see if Postman listed the dates for Columbian.  Without a serial number, construction or configuration or logo change; it would be hard to narrow it down beyond that.

Take care; it looks like that anvil has been cornered and they can be vicious in that situation!