I Forge Iron

Clay Spencer's Hammer/Treadle tool class

I know I am preaching to the choir here since nearly all of you have known Clay Spencer longer  than I have but,

His current tooling class is an intensive program that has rewards in the instruction, hands-on smithing and the bevy of tools that the participants take home. The current cost is $300 and is sure to rise with the rising prices of steel.

Clay furnishes everything but personal protection equipment and he will provide a list participants must supply.

I took home 18 pieces of tooling, most of which sell at meets for $35-$45 each. Clay demonstrates the use of each and shows how the tools cut time and effort in many day to day challenges in blacksmithing.

Clay is more than willing to share his vast knowledge and the chance to pick up and handle his hundreds of tools, dies and patterns will inspire one to stretch their limits in their own shop.

He has a well equipped shop with Tire Hammers, Treadles, numerous Grinding and Drilling Stations. The class uses coal, gas and inductive forges in all phases. Not only does he show how, but why his techniques work and their uses.

It's a weekend class that runs 9AM to 9PM on Saturday and 9 AM to 3 PM On Sunday.

I prefer not to list his contact information on the web but if you will PM me I will share his e-mail.

He is listed in The Bits magazine in the annual membership issue.

Joe Gassen

• 3 weeks later...