I Forge Iron

blacksmithing/harley davidson

hey Glenn you know what brings back memories to me , my first real street bike was a triumph 500 hardtail chopper , boy did that machine require a lot of wrenchtime .

hey Larry, i like your yamaha looks very comforatble for over the road riding
and of course it is black , whatother color would a blacksmith have lol

hdwarner, I was thinking of threading the ends for the ball joints or just welding them on. I figured it would just be a pretty cool beginner project. Any thoughts?

As for riding, I wave to everyone on two wheels, period. Rubber side down on the road and thin side up in the forge... Right :-)

Thanks Rob.

A fellow not far from here installed a straight pipe on his Dodge diesel. When the police handed him a ticket for noise, he challenged it in court. He walked in and said that if they could find one Harley in the area with a stock exhaust or better yet an altered exhaust with proof the rider has been ticketed in the same manner, he would pay the fine and restore his exhaust.
The truck still has the straight pipe.

piglet
i prefer machining the threads on , probaly because i am a machinist,second gives it a
better look i think
and a ship linkinge is a great project al you really have to worry about is length and
anythink in between is up to you , i seen a piece of bar stock with a split down the center, i seen a round bar with a simulated ball connection thruout , pretty cool
like those ball chains you used to see on light fixtures.
many options .
a rope twist in stainless would look pretty cool i think

A fellow not far from here installed a straight pipe on his Dodge diesel. When the police handed him a ticket for noise, he challenged it in court. He walked in and said that if they could find one Harley in the area with a stock exhaust or better yet an altered exhaust with proof the rider has been ticketed in the same manner, he would pay the fine and restore his exhaust.
The truck still has the straight pipe.

Actually in the DOT reg book for commercial vehicles you are allowed to run without a muffler as long as the engine has a turbocharger. I personally prefer my exhaust quiet.
One of my friends has one of the import Harley look alikes I had to laugh when he told me it had everything a Harley had but two things. An oil leak and a kick starter! :D

well, i been riding for years, first is a 80 xlh, then a 93 e-glide. e-glide gone now -was hard times back a few years ago. and i think the sporty is out at least for a while because of medical reasons. and like most i learned on a h-h-h-honda when i was 9 or 10. but all's good, knees in the breese,and all that. but one thing...why is everyone imatating the v-twin now days? old biker saying....i'd rather push my harley than ride a rice burner!! but really boys all's good when ya can get out and about, so keep the rubber side down and watch out for the cages!!, have fun jimmy

Harleys are perhaps made by blacksmiths, rather than engineers.

The forks for Springer front ends are indeed forged. They are drop forged from a pre-tapered round tube which is first heated in a large induction coil. It is then formed in a press & die operation in several stages: flattening to an oval cross-section, the end with the wheel bearing is formed & trimmed, the offset is pressed into the fork leg. When I was there, they also forged

hdwarner, those are some pretty cool ideas. I have taps etc but no lathe. I was thinking if I had say square stock, I could round up the end, drive it through a hole in some plate to get a more consistent round rod end, then clean up any shoulder caused by that. Then I could run a die down the end to get my threads. Sound feasible? I guess the only real question would be the design in the middle taking the hammering. Thanks, Rob.

Re: Shift Linkages and Fabrication

I have a friend that fabbed a shift linkage from stainless hexagonal (I think) stock. I believe he also engraved the flats. Then he twisted it, if I'm not mistaken.

Just some ideas for you.

I'll try to get a photo from him to post.

HD, Probably better the other way round since all I own so far is a leg vise and 2 hammers :D I do have a line on a piece of rr track to use on end for an anvil. So after that I just need some heat. Probably do something like an ezburner setup. So hopefully soon I'll be up and running.

As for my bike... Bought it used from a guy in NJ and just dropped the tranny oil tonight. Ouch! Milky white and the plug was covered in shavings. So i flushed it with a quart and then filled it to the line. I'm going to run it for a few days and then drop it again and see what it looks like. It would definitely be cool to get together at some point though.

Rob.