I Forge Iron

Shelling Hickory Nuts

Quenchcrack

I have hickory trees all over my property and now I have a bazillion hickory nuts all over my property. Does anybody know of a good way to shell hickory nuts? For those who have not seen a hickory nut, it looks, and tastes, very much like a walnut but about 1/3 smaller. :lol:

The nuts on the ground are opening up, exposing the hard inner shell. Now, I can get the husk off easily but that shell poses a problem. The nut meat is so weirdly shaped (like a pecan or walnut) that it is difficult to get it out without just breaking it all up. I thought somebody might have a secret method. These nuts are a lot like crawdads....it is more work than it is worth to eat them..... :lol:

Actually, I think Glen posted my BP on making a nutcracker and pick. I have made many of them. However, the time to get the meat out of the shell makes it less than appealing as a cash crop. :cry:

OK, I went to IFI and looked for the BP and it is not there, sorry. Must have been lost in all the re-organization.

We used a walnut cracker when I was a kid. Haven't see one in ages. It is mounted on a board and when you pull a lever, the nut is cracked inside 2 half-cup shaped pieces. Kind of hard to explain.

They are a booger to get the meats out of, though.

I just use hickory nuts in my smoker now. Gives meat a great flavor!

Well, these are from the Shagbark Hickory and the amount of meat in the nut makes it almost too much trouble to harvest. HOWEVER...I never thought of using them in the BBQ! Gotta try that. :P

Glenn, thanks for finding the Nutcracker BP. Guess I just didn't look in the right place.... :oops: I think I will make a few for Christmas gifts this year.

Night before last, I saw the BP for the nutcrackers.

Yesterday, I chopped off two six inch pieces of 1/4 square. Made a set in about an hour plus about thirty minutes to sand blast and gun brown them. Next set will go a lot faster.

The difference in mine and the BP. I put a twist of two rounds where you place the nut for cracking. It grabs the nut very nicely.

Thanks for the idea.

Chuck

Chuck,
How about posting a picture of the finished item? It's my turn to steal one of your ideas.... :D

I have used 3/8 round and forge square the area where it holds the nut. Then I file some coarse grooves across the face of the flat and it holds like a pair of pliers. The nice thing about the nutcracker is that there are untold variations on this theme. I seldom make the same design twice.

Hellol QC. How you been??

I tried all night to post over on the Forgemagic and ended up sending it to Alan L. It was too big a pic.

I will have to get the daughter over here and straighten me up.BOG

But come hook or crook I will get this infernal machine figured out and then wil be able to post.grin

Chuck

GLENN --Thanks. I sent it. It is huge but I can not help it. YET.grin.

chuck

nutck01.jpg

If someone wants to try these .. I started with 1/4" square-- cut the pieces 6" long. You need about a 5/8" set for the pivot pin. You can place your rivet so the crackers will not close completley, mashing your finger.GRIN. After setting the rivet, you can file or grind the excess off in front of the rivet.