I Forge Iron

Propane Bottle Forge Build

Dillion Brian Grant

Ok so,I'm going to,be building a forge from a used propane cylinder, amd i decided i wanted to post pics as i do everything,I am going to be building the forge using the steps from the pdf that is on Wayne Coe's website  ill be sure to take pictures as often as possible and will be asking for help as needed wish me luck this will be the first propane forge ive ever made 

There is one thing I havent been able to figure out yet and that is the holes for,the burners, 

In the pdf all it says is this

5. Drill, or cut, a hole in the top (larger part) 2” down vertically from the top and if using one burner 
centered front to back. If using two burners put one about 1/3rd back and the other about 2/3rd 
back. By making this hole down 2” vertically from the top of the form you will have this hole 
positioned so that the burner can enter the fire box at a tangent or level to the floor, causing the 
burning gases to swirl within the forge.

Now my intention is to do a double,burner and I intend my burner to be 3/4 inches, so how large does the initial hole need to be?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Main tip is to follow the instructions of the designs you have mention exactly. They have been tried and tested, and will work well for you provided you don't deviate. 

Best of luck with your build! 

If you get stuck, a picture speaks a thousand words, so let us see what you've done, what you're working with, etc. 

Have fun

Anyways currently I have everything makes except the burrner holes this is my setup

I, makes center and it happened to be 2-1/2 inches about where I needed to cut so from the center line I made marks down the bottle 2-1/2 inches off of center, the bottom make is the mark that will be getting cut btw 

0427181436.jpg

In the pdf all it says is this

5. Drill, or cut, a hole in the top (larger part) 2” down vertically from the top and if using one burner 
centered front to back. If using two burners put one about 1/3rd back and the other about 2/3rd 
back. By making this hole down 2” vertically from the top of the form you will have this hole 
positioned so that the burner can enter the fire box at a tangent or level to the floor, causing the 
burning gases to swirl within the forge.

If you are going to follow those directions, you are missing the bold part.

If I was doing it, yes. Others seem to have problems with their flame nozzles burning up, so being able to pull the burner and nozzle out to replace the nozzle is an advantage. I haven't  had that issue. A friend of mine sticks the mixing tube into a hole in the housing and builds his flame nozzle out of refractory. He's built several forges of different sizes that way and all of them are still running. We had three of them going at a meet at his place. Most people here weld in a pipe big enough for their flame nozzle to fit through I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so right now what I'm stuck on is the btu I need to knoq how many btus my forge is going to operate at , there will be 2 burners and the orfice hole that letz the propane into the forge is going to be a 3/64 inch hole ive been doing research but some charts say I will be in the 15000 btu range, and some say in the 115000 btu rangs, and also my regulator pressure will be about 10 or 30 psi

Why do you need to know BTUs? The guys listing just BTUs don't really know what they're talking about it's BTUs per SECOND that counts. A BIC lighter will generate hundreds of thousands of BTUs if it stays lit long enough.

You're asking questions about things that don't matter rather than just following a set of plans and building a forge. I don't know if you've noticed but fewer and fewer experienced folk are answering your questions. It's beginning to look like your "quest for knowledge" is an excuse for not just gitting it done.

This is a nonsense question, my forge will melt steel if you're not careful and I have ZERO idea how many BTUs it makes and don't care.

Now stop dinking around and do the job.

Frosty The Lucky.