I Forge Iron

Just purchased this anvil, just wondering if anyone had any insight on who the maker is and around what year it was made. I know the English hundred weights markings on the side equals 91lbs(on my bathroom scale it weighed 90.7lbs, so spot on). Only thing I can make out on the other side is an “N” torwards the upper right. There is a 66 stamped on the front foot. Thanks in advance. I’ve searched for hours with every method known, flour on anvil, all different lights, crayons and pencils on paper..... nothing. I know it’s english pattern  but that’s all I got. Thanks 

2279B40C-A34E-4510-818F-1810D83A6FA4.jpeg

4991734D-9E37-4710-A104-868FB6B54F95.jpeg

CAB9D42A-F807-42E9-802E-4C3A21270C20.jpeg

DCD5FD27-826A-4DA7-BBEA-A6AAF16B6496.jpeg

2FCCC43D-D67F-4B4E-ACFA-6BA26DF113DF.jpeg

00AE28AD-FC09-4247-BE81-E1A268A4D5F1.jpeg

7680780D-D9F5-477B-BDBA-C7A54A883477.jpeg

38E14F94-6122-4E18-8C22-88CE5A8C45E7.jpeg

As there were several hundred English anvilmakers many of them making anvils that look very like the ones others had made; you are probably out of luck.

If the rebound and ring are good you have a great anvil in great shape. (I don't think the pritchel was an after market mod as the earlier anvils tend to be fat waisted versions.)

22 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Does the pritchel hole look drifted or drilled? If the rebound is good you got a good old one. If the pritchel looks drilled an even older but good one. Nice either way if it's got good rebound. 

Yes the pritchel hole looks drifted, not drilled. Rebound is good bounces back about 7 1/2 inches from a 10in drop with a 1” ball bearing. Ring is great all over, horn, sweet spot, and heel. 

28 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Good anvil if you got it for around $200 U.S. which would be my top dollar for it. Should work very well for a "traveling" anvil. Time to make a stand and get to hammering hot steel.

Paid $225. It’ll be my backup anvil, I have a nice hay budden I use primarily. 

It very welm could be. Wilkinson is one of the big 3 anvil makers and later bought out Peter Wright. Look on the opposite side of the weight markings.  Akso look low between the feet. According to anvils in america postman recorded 5 different makers marks. It is fitting the profile of a Wilkinson.  It is looking like one of there erlier ones. Really blocky but that is a good thing. Good mass under the face. There is no mention of serial numbers in AIA.

12 hours ago, JlBlohm said:

It very welm could be. Wilkinson is one of the big 3 anvil makers and later bought out Peter Wright. Look on the opposite side of the weight markings.  Akso look low between the feet. According to anvils in america postman recorded 5 different makers marks. It is fitting the profile of a Wilkinson.  It is looking like one of there erlier ones. Really blocky but that is a good thing. Good mass under the face. There is no mention of serial numbers in AIA.

Thanks a lot for all this info