I Forge Iron

Coal, Charcoal, Wood Forge Build

ryancrowe92

Well, I don't know what you are learning or getting from Trent, but unless it's WAY older (Which it is NOT) it's wrought iron with a steel Faceplate. NOT thick but effective if it hasen't lost its hardness. It is Probably a fine anvil. You just don't know enough to know better. do a rebound test on it. Don't just smack it as hard as you can with a hammer and say it dented. SURE it will, it's anvil ABUSE! You certainly are not reading anything here from what you are stating. I'm sad for you. If you would just research stuff here on THIS site you could learn so much. you just seem to glance at Trents YT page then come here all misinformed. he seems and never get where you want to be.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" found out that that anvil I have is a wrought iron anvil because it soft when you hit it hard but I'm going to have to do something about the face to make it harder."

This is untrue; some wrought iron based anvils have quite hard faces---my Powell lost it's heel due to abuse and the horn shows heavy working on it but the face is flat smooth and HARD for instance. The softness of high grade wrought iron is mentioned as a reason some brands of anvil develop a sway; but does not indicate the hardness/softness of the face.

Also "It has rebound because I hit a hammer on it and it has a pretty good rebound to it hit my head with hammer in process" contradicts your previous post.

Well it's dark outside here  and I'm not going back outside to go find a ruler and a ball bearing that I do not have to go do that test all I can say is that it has sufficient rebound because I have experienced this first hand with a simple hammer I'm just stating the fact that it's old and probably wrought iron it has a wierd ring to it it's not smooth but it's a ring and not a thud. It has wear on the edges and that's all I can say

No no no I said that it had sufficient rebound but I never said it didn't dent what I was working on I may make a video on it if I really have to.

Not relevant were getting sidetracked so back on topic I will post again when the restoration project is under way so hopefully I can laugh it up when they fail. When they get to it but I have projects that I have yet to finish but it has to be on their time.  might just do it myself if I have to.

See ya

The problem with youtube is one person broadcasts THEIR opinion (right, wrong, or otherwise) and no one can make corrections to the video. The opinion stands ready for viewing by anyone that stumbles upon the video. If the video is well presented, and the presenter has a good personality, then the video must be good, well, no, it is just entertaining. 

On a forum such as IForgeIron you have over 45,000 members, each encouraged to post and encouraged to correct any misinformation anywhere on the site. The discussion that follows explains the information in great detail. Many of the threads have several hundred posts in the discussion. 

This is not to say videos are bad. There are many folks making videos that are great. They present good information, explain things well, and show you how to do things. Look at JLP's videos for instance. Great information, good technique, and well presented. She (yes she is a girl type person) is also on the site answering any questions or comments you might have. 

It's ALL relevant. The topic IS what we are trying to help you understand. You don't know enough to know better and don't seem to try to research for yourself. I really do have better things to do than read you blowing us off when we are trying to help you.

It would be advisable to do a little research on your project(s) before you start. This way you have some idea of how to do the project, how to do it correctly, how to avoid the problems. and how to save time and money. When someone suggests you do a ball bearing rebound test on an anvil, this gives you a indication of the usefulness of the anvil for blacksmithing. Rounded edges are a personal preference, and used for the purposes of the blacksmith and the projects he is working on at the time. You MUST learn what the blacksmith is doing and WHY he needs a particular modification to a tool. 

Use the anvil for a year (2000 hours of hammer time) before you do anything that can not be undone. 

Anvil under a tarp IS a proper set up for some blacksmiths. Wait until morning and do the testing in the daylight so you can see what is happening. It also helps locate the ball bearing is it falls off the anvil (grin)

I said yeah ,

I paid 80 for 2 autodarkinging helments

Learning to arc welder is going to have to come a little later I'm going to bed I have school tomorrow and I may talk then.

As I have no working earbuds to drown out the things around me I can keep busy by talking to y'all bout this forge

This weekend I may have another better forge that that dude had because the fan broke and he could not use it anymore.

So I have to fix it and this other forge

Oh, See, I don't know if you are saying yeah to your HF anvil being obsolete to you or what. This is text, not a simple conversation where we can pick up on your thoughts or on one thing then that. a little clarification helps us understand what you picked up on or not. Not trying to me mean or rude, Thats just how it is. You have to be specific and clarify your one word response.

Ok. as long as you're safe with the welding. What shade level do you set your helmet to?

Ok. between 10 and 12 should be fine.

I don't think welding on a cast iron anvil will help you learn much and just waste materials. You need to take Glenns advice and think things through and research before each project. You bounce around too much and probably learn little from it. You need to learn to research and take notes on what you find out or it's just wasting time, and as you get older you will find that wasting time and money only hurts you in the end. been there done that, learned way better.

You should take some time and upload as many photos as are needed to get advice before doing anything on that forge or anvil. The anvil especially. Hearing that you plan to "fix" the soft face likely sends a shiver up most of the user's of this site's spine. That's likely to end up like fixing a muffler with a pop can. It looks like you got a really nice forge and anvil donated to you. The anvil is likely in working condition as it sits now, unless it has been through a fire, which you'll likely only find out by posting the results of a rebound test. 

From reading your posts for a while now I can guess your response, "but i dont have a ball bearing, what else can i use". You do this quite often, get advice, then try to find an easier way instead of just following the advice. ANY hardware store is likely to have a steel ball bearing for 1$, literally one dollar. If not amazon will be your friend. You can go on using the anvil as it is, just dont even think about repairs until you test it with a ball bearing. Not a hammer that you think is doing the same thing as a ball bearing. A video or photo of a ball bearing test posted here, then wait for advice. and be ready for the fact that that advice is probably going to be "dont repair it".