I Forge Iron

In need of tutelage

Caponejr909

So I've always wanted to be a blacksmith. How to warp metal and work it and make cool stuff. I have no knowledge of metal.working or forging or anything really related to smithing. I want to dive in asap . If anybody knows of starter kits books teachers classes in the Chicago area. .please let me know. 

You found the right place. Start in the safety section then work your way through forges and tools to get some pointers. Don't forget the improvised anvil topics if you don't have an anvil yet. So much to read and research. Once you get your basic kit started then you can check out projects for beginners and read up on posture and hammer control then take it to the forge and try it out. 

Everything is here to get you started. Just takes a bit of research. The search function here isn't the best so try in your normal web search function with iforgeiron after the inquiry. 

After reading up and having an understanding of the idea and lingo and you have a question, we are here to help. 

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance. I believe you're in UMBA country you might want to see about attending a meeting and hooking up with the blacksmith community. You'll learn more in a couple hours with an experienced smith than days or longer trying to figure it out yourself. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Start by packing a lunch and a cold drink, get a comfortable chair and  READ THIS FIRST.

Then read the sections that are of interest to you. The stickies at the top of the section will answer a lot of your questions.

As you read the sections of interest to you, you will answer many of your questions and gain the knowledge of what to look for as far as setting up your work space. A 2# flea market hammer is all that is needed, and a mass of 75 to 100 pounds is an anvil. Improvised anvil section will show you how to get one of those for less than $20. In other words the more you read the less you will need to spend.