I Forge Iron

Welcome Nevada Blacksmiths

Glenn

Welcome Nevada Blacksmiths. This is your forum to post events, hammer ins, and things from Nevada. Please follow up with photos from the events and happenings so we can see what we missed by not being there.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What tools do you have now, anything? Are you in a home, apartment, shop? As to a forge, you can build that easy enough, and there are plenty of designs here on IFI to choose from.  All you need to get started is a heat source, something to pound items upon, and something to hit with.  Plenty of scrap steel around to make your first tools with including the anvil.

During this time of year the big issue is heat and staying healthy.

NW as in Ann and the 95?

AS far as tools, I have some old hammers from my grandfather. Working on picking up some railroad track in Utah pretty soon. I'll probably end up making my own forge. I'll be doing this at home for now, until I find a shop or until my buddy lets me rent out a corner in his big garage on some land he has. 

I've been in the construction industry here for about 6 years. Different trades here and there, but now I'm in construction safety (not OSHA!) and I love it. I have made some great contacts if anyone ever needs tools or safety equipment. One of my good friends runs a rebar shop. Gonna try to get heaps of scraps for practice haha. 

Why Utah for the rail? You should be able to find something in the valley easy enough. I might even have something at work that would do for a starter, I'll check when I go in.

Rebar is the hot dog of the metal world - you never really know what is in it. Some good, some bad, ya just never know by looking at it.

Ahhh, up in the bellybutton. I was werkin in LaVerkin for 7 years as a tool maker.  I was tied up last nigh, so didn't get a chance to do a quick test on an old shaft we have. I should have more time tonight as Sat night is usually fairly slow.

Do you want to go with a gas forge or solid fuel?

As to rebar , the heavy soft iron wire that they tie up the large bundles with is handy to have. A friend grabbed some off a job site that is around 1/4" in diameter and butter soft.  Works for top tool handles and other projects. What is your schedule like? I can swing by and go over some things with you if you like sometime. You are not that far from a friend of mine , so I get that way often enough.

• 1 month later...

I am new to smithing and look forward to the challenges.... Also I am looking for an affordable anvil as well. Are there any locations (scrap yards) that let you pick through for used steel..... 

Nice to meet ya'll

--STeve

I also live in north las vegas, off clayton and lone mountain.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi, new arrival to the forum.  Location is in my profile.  I'm not running my own forge yet for a lot of reasons (it's not a problem for which I'm soliciting solutions, I just Do. Not. Want. To).  I do have some small, inexpensive tools I'd be willing to use to help anyone else around here do whatever you're trying to do, so if you need an extra set of hands or whatever, let me know.  Unfortunately my schedule is slightly complicated so I can't just say I'm good for particular days and times but let me know what you need when and I'll try to make it happen.  Advance notice is appreciated and will most of the time make it easier for me to be there when needed.

• 3 months later...