I Forge Iron

Built a two burner propane forge, Thanks for all the info!

scottwbriscoe

Just joined the forum, but I've been lurking for months.  Thank you all for all of the information posted here!  I've been doing research for several months and just finished the forge body itself.  I've got a few wraps of kaowool with high density fire bricks on the inside of that and two Ron Reil style 3/4" burners with the TWECO tip mod (0.030 tips).  Forge body is probably a bit overbuilt as I made it out of 1/4" diamond plate.  I need to put a choke on the burners but wanted to do a test fire to check out whether it worked first.

You can tell I'm not a welder, but the main goal was to have a working forge.  I've still got to put the legs on and the work rests on the front and rear.

I started blacksmithing about two years ago on a home built solid fuel forge.  It's tough to source affordable coal where I'm at and I got tired of the sparks and difficult regulating temperatures with hardwood lump charcoal.  Can't wait to start using this forge.

236.JPG

212.JPG

221.JPG

235.JPG

Looks good so far.  Ensure burner flare is outside the fire brick layer (at least), or they will burn up faster than you expect.  Hopefully you used split fire bricks (1/2 thickness) as that much full fire brick will be a sizable thermal mass and take longer to heat up.  Pretty bullet proof though, and some applications (like hammer making) work well with more thermal mass to draw on when introducing new stock.

No need, split fire brick is common, anybody selling full will have splits. 

Welcome aboard Scott, glad to have you. Full fire brick is a serious heat sink and poor insulator that will require more fuel to bring up to temperature and more to keep at temperature. It's only slightly better insulation than an equal thickness of lime stone. R value is based on limestone, R1 = 1' of limestone. 

Nice looking build. I don't knock over built, sometimes you need overbuilt.

Frosty The Lucky.

Turns out I did buy split fire brick, locally no one carries any full fire brick.  That's nice at least.

Thanks Mikey for the suggestion.

*edited for poor spelling.  Thank you all for the comments, this forum has been a gold mine of information.

Edited by scottwbriscoe
edited for poor spelling.