I Forge Iron

Suggestions on this anvil please

This post has been moved from another thread.

I was having trouble finding a good deal in my area so i spread my search a bit. I found what might be a good deal about 3 hours from me guy listed it for $450 talked him down to $300. I have yet to go see it. I wanted some opinions on it first. Here are some pictures. Let me know if it's worth the 300 plus a 3 hour drive.

tmp_27305-IMG_20180308_151029190426099657.jpg

tmp_27305-IMG_20180308_1459584911104430692.jpg

tmp_27305-IMG_20180308_1459090401654518424.jpg

tmp_27305-IMG_20180308_1459035461639632889.jpg

Hard to say without knowing (A) the weight, (B) the rebound, and (C, somewhat less importantly) the maker. It has a Peter Wright-ish look to it, which is good, and the face and horn look to be in decent shape. If it's in the 100-150 lb range, then you'll be paying $2-3 per pound, which is not bad where you are (although that doesn't factor in your time and gas money).

In short, if you have the money and the time, definitely check it out. Test for ring and rebound, and be prepared to walk away if you have any significant concerns. However, don't wait around too much; someone else might offer the full price, and the seller might conveniently forget that you have a verbal agreement.

The seller doesn't have an exact size but stated he thinks is about 140. Judging by the pictures i think that's accurate. I was probably just going to take my Subaru down since its not a massive one and that gets decent milage and make a day out of it. Now to scramble for that $300 haha

Sounds good.

(And by the way, there's no need to quote a previous comment unless (A) you're addressing a very specific point within a larger comment or (B) you're replying to something that's had one or more other comments posted subsequently. Excessive quoting makes threads harder to read and eats up bandwidth, especially for our members still using dial-up. I know you're new, so if you haven't yet, please READ THIS FIRST!!!)

There should be a weight stamped on the side; if it's a PW it will be in the CWT system that throws off a lot of people not into anvils: so a 140 would be 1 1 0 in the cwt system and a 152 would be a 1 1 12. (If it's an early Trenton then it would be stamped in pounds and have a "hourglass" depression in the base another great brand of anvil)

Test for rebound and ring (as that style anvil should have a clear ring if not held down).  Rebound is best tested by the ball bearing test to get a number than can be compared.  We've had a lot of folks that can't evaluate rebound on their own due to lack of experience---like "It had great rebound---50%!" were that is a terrible rebound for a smithing anvil.

Note deals with good prices for good anvils often have a very short half life be sure to call be fore you set out to be sure it's still there and tell them you have the money in hand!

Could be an early Trenton or a PW.  It looks to be in pretty good shape, but you really to have to do all the testing as has been suggested.  Be prepared to walk away.  I paid less than $2 per pound for my anvil last year.  $3 per pound would be my max unless you have a pile of money you've been saving up and don't care.  I searched for a whole year before finding a decent anvil so I understand how frustrating it can be not to have one.  I was using a little 75 pound junker anvil but it got me by and was free. 

I'm guessing the seller underestimated the weight.  The seller of my anvil lifts boxes for a living and he said it was 150 lbs.  Turned out to be 179 pounds when I found the weight after cleaning it up.  If it were me, I'd first look it over and do the testing.  If all that is good, then search for a weight.  Know your english weight conversions because a PW will have that old system stamped on it.  If it is an early Trenton, the weight will be on the side between both sets of feet.  Then start with your low-ball price.  I've seen people hear be surprised with the seller accepting that low-ball price right away.  Most times you work up from your low-ball.  Don't belittle his anvil, but do point out obvious large flaws that would work in your favor.  Some sellers don't understand blacksmithing or understand that a certain flaw or problem lowers the price.  Many sellers are pricing for the antique market so letting them know you are a blacksmith immediately conveys a different message.  My junk shop guy I go to knows I'm a blacksmith and sells me tongs for a much lower price I'm sure than if someone from the city was there in their fur coat asking for industrial art for a decor job they were designing.  Always be prepared to walk away.

• 2 weeks later...