I Forge Iron

Starting a very small businuess

Mine are: 469# Fisher in mint condition that used to be the anvil for a Blacker powerhammer. It came from the RR Repair shop in Columbus OH; when they shut down the shop one of the workers got permission to take the anvil home with him. Paid $350 in the late 1990's IIRC. Found using the TPAAAT

Second one was a 412 pound Trenton; found using the TPAAAT as well.  Fellow was tired of dragging it around as he moved often; but "wanted an anvil in case he ever got interested in smithing".  I gave a 125# PW with a bad edge, a postvise screw and screwbox I had from a trashed vise I paid US$5 for and US$100 boot.  I figure I paid 50 USCents a pound for it. Also in Columbus OH area, funny that the anvil had been made in Columbus, sold to a copper mine in AZ where it had been abused by the maintenance crew once the mine stopped using a blacksmith. Bought by the fellow I got it from and moved back to Marysville OH where I bought it and moved it to NM when I moved. At least 5000 miles on it.  I had it repaired using the Gunther/Schuler method and it's my "backup anvil" sitting in the clean shop.

Currently the anvil that gets the most use is a 165# HB; but it will take a while before it gets as many hours on it as my 91# A&H which has been my travel anvil since the early 1980's.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images