I Forge Iron

As a Noob in the blacksmithing world....

To be clear, Trenton is misusing the term ASO/Anvil-Shaped Object as originally coined here on IFI.

An “ASO” properly is something that looks like an anvil, but doesn’t perform like an anvil. Cheap cast iron anvils are the classic example. 

His point is good, just like the "collection of improvised anvils" sticky thread in this same topic, that there are useful alternatives to having an actual anvil, but his example, while being an "object" is definitely not the typical "anvil shape".

AndrewB - What did you pick up at the local milling shop for an anvil? Pics! Would love to see what you ended up with.

His early videos did help get me in the right direction. But honestly I Really started learning when I found IFI. Everything he shows or explains can be found here in much more depth and detail and then some. Ok... And then A Lot more can be found here. 

Some excellent write ups here if you look. 

Just to name a few. 

I don't know on the @.... Never mind. It just came up looking for a name when I put in the symbol lol. Guess just the symbol then the persons name. Picture is how it looks when it comes up on my phone  

For the links I just copied and pasted the url from another window. 

image.jpg

Cool! Thanks Das! I tried the copy and paste the URL, but all I saw was... well, the URL. Didn't think to figure it'd turn into the picture thing when submitted. The @ thing is great too.

Learn something new every day. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. If I keep this up, by the time I get to retirement, I'm gonna be downright ignorant.

There are many posts on anvil shaped objects and anvil substitutes such as fork truck tines, hydraulic cylinders, and even the coupling knuckle from a rail road car. Many options are available. One fellow used a granite slab like they use to make tombstones.

You may want to read the post on anvil rebound.