I Forge Iron

Finally, Extended Shop is ready

Spend almost all of my free time to finish the solid and insulated new part of the shop and his interior. The one on the left side of the first picture. After several years of forging outside under a tin shelf, you see on the right side of the tree. This becomes quit uncomfortable specially at this time of the year.

Made myself at last a second small workbench witch fits better in the small new shop. Use the new shop for the ‘clean’ work like welding and gas forging and the shelf for grinding, cutting and the solid fuel forge.

Now I’m waiting for the new welding machine (Saf-Fro Prestomig 3in1) and the plasma cutter to be able to assemble parts and prepare forging blanks instead of stick welding and grinding.

Still have to grant my shop also two double glass insulated windows for more light and ventilation, next to the roof windows how not able to open.

From March on, I want to start with the first workshops/Hammer-In’s for forging basics at groups of maximum 3 students. Worked out a didactic model, workshop program, syllabus and Promo flyer (unfortunately only in Dutch). Already have several candidates want to join.

Even I build most of the equipment by myself, only the materials costs a fortune, and I’m glad about the patience of the house wife.

Last wish is still a third (100lbs) anvil to carry with me, ones (in the future) I assemble a mobile smithy to join some social projects again.

Cheers, Hans

B carport iso.jpg

IMG_20180205_122350.jpg

IMG_20180205_122425.jpg

IMG_20180205_122554.jpg

IMG_20180205_122320.jpg

IMG_20180205_122949.jpg

IMG_20180205_123043.jpg

Hi Das, yes indeed this are wooden shoes, called ‘Klompen’ in Dutch. The best PPE’s I ever met. In Holland the Klompen are known as official PPE’s for pavement makers and street makers. They absorb the fall/shock in case something fall on it, and you easy slip out in case a hot piece of welding slack ore mill scale find his way to your instep. Like you see there pretty worn out because I wear them all the time. They made from soft willow or poplar wood witch worn quit soon on concrete floors. After you cultivate a good amount of callus on your instep you even climb in to trees or even drive your pick-up truck.

Cheers, Hans

• 3 weeks later...

How do you vent the Carbon Monoxide from the new shop?  I didn't see any windows or large doors where you could get the CO out and fresh air in.

The shop looks very nice otherwise.  I did see the little holes on the bottom which I assume are for fresh air?

Gents, thanks for your comments.

MC –on the 4th picture you see a CO alarm next to the warning flag. Indeed several holes, a ventilator and huge open doors (above the holes) take care for ventilation. This only till I can buy and mount the two planed (noise) insulated windows above left and right to the toolbox on the 3d picture.

Think about the holes than, they make a nice entrances for the cat of the house to shelter at night.<_<

There are many places I would love to travel to and people here I would love to meet Hans. Maybe one day I will be able to. 

All of my friends here are welcome at my place as well. Don't quite have a guest room but we can squeeze you in somewhere. :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Placed the windows and create an extra door to the terrace. Shop is built from 2 ½ in insulation panels (walls) and 3 ½ in roof panels (noise protection). With closed doors it was almost a sauna.

Also removed one pillar of the tin shed to create a second covered forging place right next to the solid fuel forge. Much more ventilation and space now :D

DSC00148.JPG

DSC00160.JPG

Very nice Hans. It looks like a sensible layout, and the windows are great up high on the wall like that. I find the lighting in my shop is better with the windows at a higher angle..

How is the anvil and base supported? is it just sitting on the pallet looking structure, or is there something else beneath it that supports it directly to the ground?

Hi Shady, its quit a thin hard wood structure embedded in the compacted clay ground. Test it by rebound and already work on it. Feel no difference between the anvil on the concrete floor and the one under the shed. Think the beech wooden block of 160lbs and the anvil of 250lbs generate enough counter force and absorb the beats.  The window work out fine to, regarding the light input and avoiding curios views of thieves and bored and jealous neighbour(s) <_<