I Forge Iron

Help with "Iron City" vise age and other history...

fishnaked

Same story as the anvil I asked about the other day.

However, I've been using this vise for the past 15 years. It is just now that that I'm cleaning it up and wishing to learn more about it. I'm curious if there's any way to tell the rough year of manufacture from looking at the photos below. Yes, this vise has seen some heavy use and probably some abuse. The other thing I'm curious about is the spring. From looking at pics on the Net, I saw right off that it's missing the spring. I'm guessing I'll have as much luck seeing a blue moon than finding one. 

Any info would be appreciated!

DSCN7514.JPG

DSCN7515.JPG

Here's a history of iron city tool works from a collector site  http://trowelcollector.blogspot.com/2015/11/history-of-iron-city-tool-works.html

Can't help with the age right off but IIRC the logo went through a couple of changes that help pin down items within a couple of decades.  I'll come back after some research if I can find that info.

2 hours ago, fishnaked said:

I'm guessing I'll have as much luck seeing a blue moon than finding one. 

Your in luck, there is a blue moon on the last day of January 2018 and another blue moon the last day of March 2018.

As to the spring, make one.

Get a piece of scrap strap stock. Put in post vise with about 3/8" protruding up. Hammer over making the catch to ride on top of the mounting fixture. Leave the height of the mounting fixture strap straight and bend an arc into the rest of the  piece. Hacksaw or chisel a slit in the far end and seperate it  to trap it on the moving leg.

Figuring out the correct amount of arc, length, etc may take practice; but it's a simple piece to make.

48 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

To me strap stock is considerably wider than it is thick and generally not too heavy  so 1"x1/4" is strap as is 1" x 1/8".  AKA flat stock.

Just to be obnoxious I may try making my next one from a RR spike...much more work than necessary!

Ok, that was my first thought... but I was assuming to get the spring action, one had to have a special spring steel.

Funny that the spring constant is pretty much the same for all steel, the amount it will bend before taking a set is what changes.  So if you build the spring within the "doesn't take a set" range there isn't a problem.  Generally you don't need much throw in a vise so not a problem.  If your vise has a stiff movement you may need to use a thicker strap stock for the spring or convert to a higher carbon spring stock and make the arc more substantial to get it to move.  I usually just clean the bearing point and oil and make it easier to move...

5 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Funny that the spring constant is pretty much the same for all steel, the amount it will bend before taking a set is what changes.

Mind blown. 

<Treadle hammer linkage redesign processing.>