I Forge Iron

Good Beginner Anvil?

My first thought was that it didn't look like forged steel but more likely cast iron.  Without being able to test it in person I would RUN away. Of course I can buy chunks of real steel to use as anvils for US 20 cents a pound at the scrapyard. It's pretty small too; just about a jeweler's bench anvil size and not a forging size.

Appears to be the standard cheapo cast iron chinese hunk 'o junk which one can get from many suppliers.  There is clearly draft in the part for mold release as well as whizzed parting lines.  These are not worth the money and not really suitable for actual forging.  When cheap enough, they are fine as a place for rough banging which everyone needs sometimes.

I have seen several offerings that I would swear were intentionally disguised to try and hide the fact that they were Harbor freight "sale" cast iron anvils--basically intentionally distressed and re-painted (blackened) versions being passed off as vintage proper anvils.  One could make good money buying those 55 pounders when on sale and with a discount coupon to fool the uninitiated if one were a bit morally bankrupt.

That same seller also has a 110 pound version for sale.  In the description it specifically says not cast iron, gives the Rockwell hardness, and states that it was hardened and tempered.  Granted, anyone can write anything they want in the description, but the seller at least knows enough to BS properly if it's not what he says it is.  On the other hand it does say "forged" in the item description, but sure looks cast to me.

Abdel, from one beginner to another, I would take ThomasPowers' advice and check your local junkyards for a nice chunk of solid steel you can get for scrap prices.  If that doesn't work then do what I did. I went to a local fabricator/ machine shop in my hometown and they sold me a remanent piece of steel they had cut off. The piece I got is 4"x5"x8". I got it cheaper than what you will pay for that thing and it's probably way better quality material.