I Forge Iron

Looking for a picture of an anvil!

But wait there’s more, I’m looking for a specific picture. I’m sure a lot of you have seen it, the picture of the anvil that has been etched to show the grain of the wrought. I was trying to explain it to The Lady and it doesn’t come across as interesting in words. If some one could post it if they’ve got it or point me in the correct direction, I’d appreciate it. 

The picture I’ve seen made the wrought iron grain visible as well as being able to see the different pieces. I want to say it was joined at the waist. Who ever did it had to have put a tremendous amount of effort into grinding an entire anvil smooth before etching. 

The photo appears on page 98 of "The Mousehole Forge", and is credited to a Randy McDaniel whose anvil it is, a certain 243 pound MH. It is said to be missing (Edit; not so much "missing", more like " smoothly worn through") the rear 2/3rds. of the face plate, so Randy, a blade-smith, uses the front 1/3 for blade work. From time to time he polished it for his craft, but over time it became too polished. So, he etched the surface to rough it up a bit. This caused the grain to become visible, showing the difference in wrought iron and tool steel structure. The front 1/3 shows a much straighter and very fine grain, as opposed to the large, swirling grain of the wrought body toward the heel.

Paraphrasing Mr. Postman.