I Forge Iron

How to join metal together

On 1/10/2018 at 12:32 PM, Joel OF said:

The interesting thing about @Glenns question is that what may suit one area may not suit another

That's true too. Everything is situational. I'm in the Rocky mountains. On the Eastern slope, a hot oil finish will hold up outside for a few years. On the Western slope, there is much natural gas mining. There is far more acid in the air. Iron will literally get a light rust in a few days. My remark works well for inside situations.  ;)

Winegums, check the reverse, and you can call your weaknesses strengths. I don't know of modern cars but I believe main frame members are riveted as are some brackets, whilst engines bolt to frames and starters bolt to engines. So rivets are a plus for permanent joinery and bolts are a plus for consumables.

Screws are not always removable without extreme measures, we learned that in metal shop 1 when learning to cut threads on a lathe. Just tip the thread bit so one side was at or close to 90* to the shaft and it'd either screw on and never come off or visa versa. The male and female threads needed to be close matched of course. However it's possible to get one close enough it'll go together but far enough off the bolt will break before unscrewing.

As to economy, rivets are cheaper to buy but bolts are cheaper to use and with modern screw machines it's no contest. If you want a bolt super tight without chancing snapping it tightening warm it to about 350f. and max tighten it with the wrench. When it cools it will be a much tighter joint without risking breaking the bolt, 350f isn't hot enough to run the temper.

Whacky things you learn in metal shop in the 1960s.

Frosty The Lucky.

So, in my shop, all my nuts and bolts are used as Joel stated. To hold my railings, or whatever together so I can rivet them. When removed the needed ones get cleaned up with taps and dies. I have some that are over 20 years old and still going strong.

Lol, if I sold them today for flea market prices I'd make money on them...