I Forge Iron

Little help ID'ing my anvil

New to the board and blacksmithing - looks like a good place to start. I recently picked up my first anvil from a local farmer and I'm looking for some information on it. From the visible "RENT" on the body, I assume its a "Trenton" anvil. The serial number on the bottom reads "A659". The farmer, who was in his 60's, told me the anvil originally belonged to his grandfather. Not sure of the weight, but it looks in the 150-175lb range. Its well over 200 with the stand it came with. I didnt pay much for it as I just wanted something flat and hard to learn the trade with. Does it need any repair work? Thanks for any help.

Morgan

5769.attach

5770.attach

5771.attach

5772.attach

Thanks for the help. The farmer was quite an interesting fella - he logged with horses in his younger years with his father. His dad and grandfather were also blacksmiths of some sorts. He ran a metal fab business for over thirty years and a hell of a nice guy to boot. He agreed to let me hang out in his shop as long as I split some wood for him from time to time ;)

Nothing wrong with your anvil, I wouldn't do a thing with it other than use it.

If you go to the top of the page, click on "user CP" and edit your profile to tell us where you live there's a good chance there're people close to you who can help directly.

Frosty

Mike - Those are 115lb anchor shackles I use for weightlifting. The stone next to the shackles is a 250lb Atlas stone I made out of concrete a few summers ago. Thats the way I workout - with stones, sandbags and other odd objects - beats the heck out of lifting weights.

Frosty - thanks for the tip - I added my name and location to my signature.

I appreciate the help on the anvil - it would be cool to know when it was made.

Morgan

Morgan! DON"T BELIEVE THESE GUYS!!! That anvil is a piece of junk, so just send it to East Texas and I'll discard it for ya. (wink, wink) Seriously, nice anvil. and to be able to rub elbows with some one like the gentleman you discribed just an added bonus! Show us some of your handy work from this beauty when you can. And Welcome to IFI. Great bunch here and willing to help...like me with your anvil! :)

You should have seen some of the other stuff he had out there. Tons of old US Calvary stuff - anvils, spurs, etc. He had this real neat tool for spreading the iron on the old wagon wheels. Its kind of cool to see all this rustic stuff in one room right next to a Miller Syncrowave 350. The experience is well worth a few cords of wood to me.

What really sickens me is that you got an excellent stand with it as well! Don't even dream of doing anything to that anvil other than wire brushing it! Here it is very humid so I would run to a coat of engineers blue but wouldn't do any more than that.

(Well maybe take the ball off the top before you start hammering).