I Forge Iron

matching pump and cylinder pressures

poundhound

Any help appreciated.

I am starting to assemble components for building a hydraulic press. I have purchased this hydraulic pump because it seem to be all set up double action control valve with a foot pedal control built in. It puts out pressure to 10,000 psi.

The cylinder I purchased has a max rating of 3000 psi.

Do I put some kind of pressure relief valve between the two to make sure the pump does not exceed the cylinder's max rating of 3,000 psi?

The pump has a pressure dial, I could just make sure I don't exceed the pressure manually, but though the relief valve would be a better design.

hydraulic pump.jpg

The problem you will have is the ram you have because of its lower design pressure to get the same tonnage it will have a larger bore which means it has a greater displacement so it will be slow. That pump because of its high design pressure and lower flow output is intended to work smaller dia rams which have a smaller displacement but because of the high pressure still will have a good speed AND tonnage. The trick with hydraulics is to have matched components, You need a ram designed for the pump to get good performance otherwise it will be a compromise. Because the rams design pressure is about one third of the pressure to get the same tonnage a matched high pressure ram could produce it will need three times the piston area with means three times the displacement which means one third of the speed a matched system would have. DONOT TRY  10000psi in the ram Cheers Beaver

Hi,

That pump is a high pressure pump (10,000psi)  I have the same pump for my portable punch setup.  It really will not work with the 3000 psi cylinders. You could use a cylinder like this one. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30-tons-8-stroke-Double-acting-Hydraulic-Cylinder-10000PSI-Jack-Ram-YG-30200S-/221950067817

30ton 8" stroke. 10,000 psi rating

One thing to keep in mind if you use the 10,000 psi pump.  Do not use hardware store or auto parts store hoses with it.. You have to use 10,000psi hose specially made for it.

I had considered using that setup for a hydraulic forge but decided not to. Honestly the 10,000psi hoses scare me. If they burst it is very dangerous. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:06 PM, jeffery71 said:

I had considered using that setup for a hydraulic forge but decided not to. Honestly the 10,000psi hoses scare me. If they burst it is very dangerous. 

Yup, reminds me of a quote "They say when you've drawn blood - you're exfoliated". The very last thing anyone in life wants would be a jet of VERY hot oil shooting out from a hose.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:06 PM, jeffery71 said:

30ton 8" stroke. 10,000 psi rating

I was thinking about the stroke length and I had a question. Is there any efficiency to be gained by using a shorter stroke ram since in most cases the steel will only move a 1/4" or so per-stroke. I assume that you need enough fluid in the reservoir space to complete the longest stroke but I did not know if this 8" cylinder starting from 6.5" extended (for example) and pushing to 7.5" (again for example) is any more or less efficient than a short ram (say 2" max) going from 0" extended (again again for example) to 1" extended.

I know that I don't know so if I am typing nonsense please let me know and I will not take it hard.

Ernest 

On 1/2/2018 at 7:04 AM, eseemann said:

I was thinking about the stroke length and I had a question. Is there any efficiency to be gained by using a shorter stroke ram since in most cases the steel will only move a 1/4" or so per-stroke. I assume that you need enough fluid in the reservoir space to complete the longest stroke but I did not know if this 8" cylinder starting from 6.5" extended (for example) and pushing to 7.5" (again for example) is any more or less efficient than a short ram (say 2" max) going from 0" extended (again again for example) to 1" extended.

It wouldn't make any difference on the stroke length. The diameter is where it makes a difference. 

Jeff

16 hours ago, jeffery71 said:

It wouldn't make any difference on the stroke length. The diameter is where it makes a difference. 

Thanks for the info, I (sort of) understand that you on get the top of your power curve when the (in my case) air over hydraulic jack makes contact with the steel and is (for lack of a better term) straining against the top die.