I Forge Iron

Titanium sword?

Wyatt Lavallee

Titanium is a quite bad sword material.  I have a hand forged Titanium, (CP1 or 2) knife that I use as a camp eating knife.  I've met many people all excited about it until I show them the mark where I carved a slice off it with a belt knife with the edge made from a nicholson file.

Titanium is the wrong weight for a sword---for over 1000 years the average weight for a good using sword was about 2.5 pounds; so go lighter and you find that it's easy to ignore attacks from it or to block or brush them aside.  Ever get a paper cut?  why don't they make swords from paper?

Why do you think Titanium would make a good sword?

"Commercially pure (99.2% pure) grades of titanium have ultimate tensile strength of about 434 MPa (63,000 psi), equal to that of common, low-grade steel alloys, but are less dense."  wikipedia

So you can spend a LOT more money (cost of stock and cost of working it and cost of materials to work it), and end up with a much less functional sword---of course you will impress the fanboys...

Watch the video linked above at about 1:45 where he says titanium is suboptimal for the purpose!

I'm amused that anyone would expect different for a TV show....

I made my camp knife out of Ti so I could throw it in the trunk after a campout, forget about it for 6 months and then put it in the dishwasher for 10 cycles of "double over kill wash" and have it just the same as before the trip....(its self hilted too!)

Ti is also a flammable metal similar to magnesium. When drilling you have to use 600 rpm or less for a 3/16"drill bit or you will ignite the chips. I've done that, just like a mag fire starter. It's not something I would consider forging without safety research.