I Forge Iron

Gas Ignition Inside the Body/Tube

Chad Hunter Thrower

G'day All,  

I finally broke down after several failed attempts. First I read over Mike Porters book which definitely has some great content, but sadly I couldnt get results. So Im hoping to reach out to someone that can give me some guidance. At least before I give myself brain damage from banging my head against the wall. 

Okay so about my venturi burner 

Parts As Followed:

1"x12" long black steel pipe

2"x1" bell reducer (top)

1.5"x1" bell reducer  (Flare)

.35 Mig Tip

My pressure regulator is 0-40psi

Ive raised and lowered the mig tip several times, as well as increased pressure with no results. So naturally my frustration grew. If there is anything I am overlooking I humbly ask could someone please enlighten me as to why my I am getting ignition in the tube before my flare.

Thank You All 

- Chad

*Learn Something New Everyday*

20171019_022635.jpg

20171019_022627.jpg

Hi Chad and welcome to the forum. I can't give you any advice on Mickey's burner (never having built one) but if you edit your profile to add your general location, you may be surprised how many members are within visiting distance. Who knows one of them may have burner building experience and some answers are location dependent.

With the burner I used a back burn was happening and it turned out to be a bad seal at the replaceable orifice threads.

Welcome aboard Chad, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the  header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance.

How closely did you follow Mike's book to come up with a 12:1 tube length to diameter ratio and a 0.035" jet diameter to tube diameter ratio in what appears to be a linear burner? 

What volume and shape forge are you going to fire with a 1" burner? 

Frosty The Lucky.

He didn't; there are no linear burners in that book. Linear burners are discussed at times on the  Forges 101 thread, The book discusses a particular kind of burner design, in a step by step manner.

For design particulars, on the type of burner he built, he needs to read through Ron Reil's forge and burner pages; they are available free on the Web.