I Forge Iron

Is this worth the money

Hi All,

I have seen this drill press for sale, and would like some advice on whether it is worth getting.

Workzone-500W-Bench-Drill-A.jpg?o=KQ6Cgp

My current setup is I drill free hand or use a hand drill in a drill press but I have run into a few issues with this setup as my only way to kill the drill is to reach over and pull the plug.

Thanks,

Luke

Well I did think that but I then compared it to the Clarke Metalworker and the speeds seemed comparable if not slightly lower.

The Clarke's ranger was 620-2620.

I would be drilling Metal with it nothing more than 10mm as I would be using it for the mouting holes for hooks and the like anything thicker I would punch the hole through hot.

I am just not used to the spec for drills presses and seem to see them vary greatly between the machines.

Sorry for not providing greater detail in my original post.

It will do the job...like a YUGO did the job as a car.  Some people got their money's worth and it gave them cheap (disposable) transportation when they couldn't afford better.  As long as you didn't expect more than you were paying for, a YUGO wasn't a terrible deal.

But...if your budget can handle it you can do better for the long run.  Don't forget to look at resale value:  Sometimes a few more bucks at the input end gets you something which holds much more value if you should ever decide to sell.

In the USA, you can often find pretty good drill presses cheap at pawn shops (but you might have to visit several to find one).  Industrial auctions are where you can find something really nice (at a cost)...and once you use a nice industrial drill press, it makes it hard to go backwards to a cheap one.  Not sure if those sources work the same in the UK.  Note that if you have the space and power, a good press at an industrial auction (usually about $ 500 USD here) will hold virtually every penny of that value when sold--it's money deposited in the " National Bank of Iron", not an expense.

well firstly it's cheap i.e. couple of hours at min. wage, it comes with a 3 year (sort of cover) witch is 2 years more than most offer? and Aldi are a reputable chain so it's far from a bad deal. in the long run the motor may conc out but that would be a doddle to change out and upgrade and it will certainly beat a hand held B&D drill.

I would love to get a proper industrial one that i know will just keep going but I know i won't have that kind of cash for a while.

I was just hoping to upgrade from the handheld setup and the 3 year warranty is a big selling point. I could have a look for a good quality second hand one bu need do more reading on what to check for.

There are, and have been, a number of drills which are all but identical. You will find for 10mm holes in mild steel this drill will be adequate and vastly more accurate then the hand drill type accessory press or hand drilling. I have a Rexon version, the motor is whisper quiet. which is a bonus,  and the lowest speed is near the 550rpm mark. There is little to go wrong with them and most only ever get to collect dust during their working life with an owner so a second hand buy is well worth considering at maybe as little as a third of the new retail price.

They are not a professional/industrial tool therefore as long as one doesn't expect it to drill holes all day or work to "engineer's" tollerances, they are good to go! A budget tool that does the basic work.

Thanks Smoggy.

I was curious as I had seen that the lower the speed could go the more suitable it was for metal to prevent drill bits burning out.

The tolerances isn't to much of an issue as I will be only using it on handmade items.

I might keep an eye out for a decent second hand one and if I don't find anything just wait for the next DIY sale they have.