I Forge Iron

Ceramic forge Lining safety

So, I have been using an Atlas mini forge and I am looking into upgrading to something bigger the only thing is I'm a little worried about breathing ceramic fibers from the lining of most of the forges I have been looking at. The forge I am thinking of getting says that the ceramic lining is factory rigidized vacuum formed ceramic liner. I don't really know what this means. By rigidized does it mean that the lining has been coated and I don't need to worry about  breathing ceramic fibers during normal use of the forge? If it helps the forge I am looking at is the Majestic Forge 3 burner knifemaker deluxe.  Here is a link to the forge https://www.majesticforge.com/product/3-burner-knifemaker-deluxe/

Welcome aboard Tucker, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised who lives within visiting distance.

Rigidizing is typically a colloidal or fumed silica coating that prevents loose ceramic fibers. A further coating of a good kiln wash not only completely encapsulates fibers it further armors the blanket from mechanical and chemical damage and provides a strong IR re-radiating properties. 

If you'll check out the Iforge thread, "Forges 101" the subject is gone into at some length.

Frosty The Lucky.

That is a very reasonable price.  As to your question ive never handled one of those forges so i couldnt answer.  I will say picking up a pint or two of matrikote or plistix from wayne (google waynecoe) and coating it will not only alleviate your fear but make the forge more efficient.

You can build your own forge and save a lot of money and have a better forge too.  Check out the Build a Gas Forge attachment on the Forge Supplies page on my web-site for instructions on how I like to build a good, long lasting, efficient forge.  

Let me know if I can help you.  You can get my web-site, phone number and e-mail addy on my profiles page.  I prefer contact by e-mail.

Wayne.