I Forge Iron

Air hammer power requirement?

It's a long way off, but I'm starting to seriously think about getting an air hammer.  The question I have is about power requirements.  I've got 220 going to my shop, single phase only.  The power is coming from the house through an 80amp breaker.  I'm considering a self contained hammer with about 100 pound ram weight.  I'm good at a lot of things, but electricity is black magic to me.

I'm considering the anyang or the saymak.  They both have 5-10 horse electric motors.  I'm currently running a 5 horse motor on my hydraulic press.  I remember seeing a vid on the saymak and they were talking about setting the belt tension by motor amps and they were around 32 amps if I remember correctly.

According to the Anyang USA website, the 88 uses a 5 horse single phase motor with 22 amps.  The 120 pound model uses a 10 horse motor and 29.4 amp 3 phase motor.  Would this be max amp draw, or???  And would it be possible to get a single phase motor for the 120 model?  Or a converter as it would be next to impossible to get 3 phase where I live.  Not sure what the Saymak amp usage is.

• 2 weeks later...

If it helps I just recently installed an anyang 120 and my electrician said I needed a 60 amp breaker. It only pulls 30 amp running but he said you have to put a breaker in twice that for start up. I also just installed a phase converter to run mine as James Johnson said you can't get a single phase motor to run at low enough rpms.  Hope that helps some. 

Thanks, I'd prefer to get as big as I can and was considering the 120.  A 60 amp breaker would be just about max, but then I doubt I'd be running anything other than the forge blower and maybe lights at the same time.  Then again, maybe the 88 is about max.  Sure wish I had 3 phase out here, but that's not gonna happen.  

The phase converter you installed, how well does it work?  The only ones I knew of would cut something like 1/3 of the horse power off a 3 phase motor, but I've of recent ones that while expensive would pretty much give full power.

Thanks.

I installed an american rotary 20hp unit and it runs it no problem. The only time the hammer is gonna pull that much electric is on startup once it's running it will pull thirty amps. So as long as you're careful what's running when you start it you probably could get by with it.

Be sure to use the "correct" gauge of wire to run your power.  My 88-lb Striker (5HP single-phase, 19.5 amps) and a 5HP compressor (17.5 amps) run on 6-3 wire, running from a 20 KW diesel genset, with almost no heat.  However, when running the genset to charge my battery bank (off-grid solar power for 120v and smaller 220v) at 36-38 amps (10.5 kw) the breaker gets warm and I would like to be running 4-3 wire...maybe next paycheck...

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Salem Straub said:

10 hp VFDs are quite cheap now, from China... I know people that have run hammers off them with good results.  Nice thing about 3 phase is your wire can be smaller and amp draw is less.

What Salem said, plus you can program the vfd to start the motor slow with no surge thus eliminating the need to double your amperage for startup.