I Forge Iron

So you call yourself a "blacksmith"? HA!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2017 at 1:46 PM, lyuv said:

So did I. Until I watched this https://youtu.be/RuCnZClWwpQ

Spoiler - They do make stuff by hitting hot iron on an anvil. But that's the END of it, and the easy part...

If I had the privilage to participate in such a project, the tool made this way would be my most treasured possession.

Now that my friends is a "Rounding hammer" and check out the movable bottom swage, adjusted by the foot. Truly impressive and I love how it is an almost communal activity. Wish we had something like that.

On 8/9/2017 at 4:08 AM, VaughnT said:

Even better, in my opinion.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3rjjpuhCLI

I'd love to get one of those 'rattle stones'.  I have a friend over there and she hasn't been able to find one for me. :(

Really makes you appreciate how much our ancestors had to go through to get us where we are today!

That is the best re enactment of medieval metal production I've seen. Clearly our ancestors worked hard for basic results and needed to develop an array of skills we no longer need. Japan is another country that keeps this tradition alive. 

I have to say that as admirable as this activities are, be it by choice or necessity, they can in no way imply that this are the "real" blacksmith. It would be like telling a butcher he is not a real butcher because he did not hunt the pig down in the forest with a spear. Metal work process evolve and we do with them. Primitive ways to achieve a result are not more "real" than more modern ways. There are results and there are skills, and there is the satisfaction of achieving a result. 

Loved that Dutch video and the re enactment of the village life. Perhaps the best part of it is precisely the need for many to be involved for a common result. If there is one thing I miss from my time working in a busy smithy is the interaction in a busy shop as opposed to the lone work in a shop were I am on my own. 

As the OP, I did not meen to imply that you are not a backsmith if you did"nt smelt the iron. It was half a jest. But only half.

I totaly agree that specializing is legit, and you certainly can be a professional, however the work is distributed, I only ment to point how extremely hard, laborous and expansive it was to produce a simple axe or pick.

Mining all the materials. Finding the right trees to make the charcoal, and spending days just getting the charcoal. and so on. And all, to get anough metal for 2 (?) tools?

When I burn a piece, of somehow spoil it, I curs a little and toss it. I cant imagine what it was like for them.

BTW, I"m not sure if the communal activity we see in the duch recreation is the real deal, or some romantic notion of the past. I feel people where more like us - trading for goods and the labor, rather than a communist utopia.