I Forge Iron

Hydraulic Press for Forging?

Latticino

I know there isn't really sufficient information here, but please bear with me.

Is there any chance the press in the attached would be suitable for forging (primarily for making pattern welded billets and punching hammer/axe eyes)?  I'm not that familiar with presses, but have done some homework, and know that the 15-60 ton range is reasonable and that cycle speed is one of the critical parameters.  The hydraulic cylinder here looks smaller than I've seen for most hydraulic forging presses and the hand cranked "winch" on the side worries me as well.  The current motor appears to be a 2 HP one, but the photo showing the hydraulic pump info is to washed out to read.

To me this looks like a smaller press, perhaps from an automotive repair shop or for light fabrication, but I really am not sure.

Thanks for any advice.

00s0s_jDwBqlcrRuw_600x450.jpg

The hand crank winch on the side is to raise and lower the table. Raise it up, pull the pins, put the pins in a lower/ higher slot in the legs then lower the table onto the pins. 

Other then that I couldn't say if it would be good or not for your purpose. 

it seems to be lacking in limit switches to control stroke, you dont want the piston to have to travel its full length each time and you want to be able to stop it when it gets down far enough and that needs to be easy and quick to change, also you may need to prevent the rod from rotating.

on my iron dwarf forging press thread you can see I used a big end of a con rod to do both

22 minutes ago, the iron dwarf said:

it seems to be lacking in limit switches to control stroke, you dont want the piston to have to travel its full length each time and you want to be able to stop it when it gets down far enough 

It looks like a shop press where you control how it starts and stops. Looks like the control is on the left facing the other side from the picture. These wouldn't have to run a full cycle. If it is the type of shop press I know of. 

Ok. This one certainly wouldn't be as precise and may want to return to full up position. Again, If it's like the presses I have dealt with in mechanic shops. And even at that I would think it could help with some forging bout no idea the extent since I lack that experience. 

you could add what is needed and it will help with speed which is very important for forging, I can get just over 1 stroke per second depending on the job.

near the bottom on page 2 is some pictures of the switches and anti rotation bar on mine

it is also controlled by the footswitch