I Forge Iron

Hot Bluing questions

Hello everyone. 

I wasn't exactly sure where to put this, but it is a finish that I wish to apply to a knife (and several old gun barrels as well) at some point, so here we are. 

I'm just curious as to what the exact ratios of water, sodium hydroxide, and potassium nitrate are. Like 10 g of KNO3 per gallon of water and 30 g of NaOH per gallon as an example. 

I understand the process fairly well, and I understand it's basic dangers (get it? Basic?), and I realize you can buy pre mixed solutions to use, but I have these ingredients already (perks of being a backyard chemist) and I'm just curious as to the proper mixtures. I couldn't find much information regarding this through my research. 

Thanks in advance. 

May I commend to your attention "Firearm Blueing and Browning" by R.H.Angier originally copyrighted in 1936

Chock full of recipes, many using toxic chemicals. Written for the gunsmith.

I don't know if it's available online; I have the book in mint condition as a  "Fayetteville Public Library Discard"  (Fayetteville AR)