I Forge Iron

imformation on trenton anvil 156 ib, serial #18179

Mr Stevens I honest do not know what temp the rod will get, I will use, at first stood 2110, i'm bona weld 2 to 3 inch beads at different places so the heat stays the same as I make 3 layers. I will hammer my welds and clean them up as I go. I very open to suggestions or opions

I"ll finish up with stoody 1105, I think it will match the top plate. Keeping the anvil at 450 degrees all during the welding. Then I will slow cool for 12 to 18 hours in sand or mica. Does this sound ok ?

I use perlite for the slow cooling. Sand needs to be preheated and perlite is puffed mica so it takes just as much heat but it's a WAY better insulator. It's cheap at the garden supply.

You should use build up rod rather than 7018 under the hard facing rod. Build up rod is impact resistant and doesn't deform under the hard facing. If the metal under hard facing moves the facing rod will check and eventually come off. 7018 is much more elastic very strong but it has a lot more elongation and rebound. It makes really poor build up rod in anything but dings or thin narrow beads.

Remember, no more than two passes hard facing.

Frosty The Lucky.

Vermiculite is puffed mica and a good slow cool material, Perlite is a different thing alltogether: from wiki: Perlite is an amorphous volcanic glass that has a relatively high water content, typically formed by the hydration of obsidian. It occurs naturally and has the unusual property of greatly expanding when heated sufficiently. It is an industrial mineral and a commercial product useful for its low density after processing.

We have a perlite mine in Socorro NM near my northern abode...