I Forge Iron

New assembly table build. Could use help.

Im building a large assembly table  for building a large gate for my driveway/railing. Think large ornamental! (Chain fall kind of projects)  

Space allows a 5x10 and I am having a series of hardie holes or stake holes cut in the top forge side. 

My questions are.... If you were building a table of this sort what thickness would you use? I can't afford much more than 3/4 and a 3/4x5x10 is already around 1150 lbs without a base. 

What advantages are there for a thick plate? 1/4 vrs 1"+? 

What features would you have cut into the plate? (Yes i would love a huge acorn but i cant find one lol). 

Im leaning towards 3/4" but do not want to throw money away if thinner will work or not make it thick enough! I hope to use it for the next 40ish years.   Opinions please! 

Thanks in advance

Brian

Honestly, there's only one fab/layout table that really impressed the snot out of me and got me thinking about duplicating it.  Complicated to make, but simple to use, and very very handy.....   

I like the slots in the table that allow you to use any of your clamps rather than relying on specialty-made stick-in-a-hole doo-dads.  Being adjust able for height would be such a convenient thing in my world!

New and used Acorn tables are available. A 5 foot by 5 foot Acorn weighs 2000 pounds and will support 6 tons.

Build the table so multiple tables can be joined together. Wheels will allow you to move the table easily and the large diameter wheels make it easier to roll over many small obstructions, like welding rod ends.

There is a difference in speed and ease of use between using clamps and the gooseneck hold down dogs.  

Depending on how you will use your table, there can be all kinds of specialty tooling and table modifications. A table is good, but with the additional tooling, it becomes great.

My 4x8 table is 3/4" plate supported and welded on a tight grid of 4x6x3/8" angle iron.  After 6 years of heavy use, it has a slight upward bow/warpage from heat.  Go with the biggest, thickest plate you can afford.  My next table will be at least 1" thick (if I don't buy a platen table).  

A welding table in a blacksmith shop is not just for welding.  I use mine for flatening and straightening large pieces, a base for large bending and scrolling jigs, support for hot fit asemblies, etc.  If you are doing big projects or any level of professional work, go thick.  

• 2 weeks later...