I Forge Iron

homemade (but still good) anvil

call it improvised or scrap built, or call it custom, as construction is tailored to the function more than restrained by materials avilable either way it is  cheap to do.   This is the third such anvil I have fabricated in a similar fashion, all were made for use in automotive restoration shops (where I work) thus the use of sheetmetal forming stakes and multiple  height stake pockets.  All my early experience is from blacksmithing  so I prefer my stakes to work like a 1" hardy rather than the various commercial tapered sheetmetal stakes.  Still Im quite convinced this design could be fabricated just a bit differntly and be a very good blacksmithing anvil.  The top of this one is forklift tine, heavy wall rectangle tube makes up the base and post, "horn" is 4-1/2" but one can always make stakes or hardy tools with other diameters.  It weighs less than 75 lbs, but the rigid construction helps it perform more like a heavier anvil, works great for thin metal and of course could be built heavier, the casters that only touch the floor when tipped are very handy in a big shop.  Not as beautiful as a traditional england pattern for sure, but still not bad looking and very functional.

IMG_20170503_184324_hdr.jpg

IMG_20170503_184336_hdr.jpg

IMG_20170503_184347_hdr.jpg

It's a nice anvil for light work, very flexible. I like it. The only fundamental change I'd make to do heavier work is to rotate it 90 degrees and use either wider or two pieces of sq or rec. tubing for the post so the face was supported over more of it's length. A horizontal receiver and wedge slot would allow various horns and they could be used horizontally or vertically. 

The basic concept is so full of potential I lose myself in ideas. I call it custom, that steel isn't scrap till you run out of imagination and skill.

Well done, thanks for sharing.

Frosty The Lucky.

thanks for the input,  one of my own ides for this design is fabricate a jaw with geometry like a post vise and have it hinge near the bottom of the pedistal, run the acme right thru the post, I expect a portable combination tool would not take the place of the anvils or bigger vise in my own shop but could be handy for special projects and a good option when demonstrating on the road where haul space gets limited or you just dont want to load unload (repeat) any more schtuff than needed

Version 2 could have a double support post for the anvil. Supports (extensions) could slide into the square tubing at the base as outriggers for stability. Think of the way an engine hoist is designed. When not in use, they could be removed and placed from the base against the anvil, or used as a handle to tip and move the project.

A bent piece of fork truck tine could be made to match the non-horn end of the anvil, attach at the base, and with a screw into the support post for clamping.

It is a good concept, I just have to keep reminding my self that it should be less than 100 pounds and portable. Well maybe. LOL

You could make replaceable horns to fit into a receiver with a bolt or pin to hold them in place. 4 inch horn, 3 inch horn, 2 inch horn, bick, and the possibility is endless. I think we just passed the 100 pound mark (grin)

Great ideas, Once I discovered DOT tube for 2" Ive made good use of it for tooling on the welding bench and telescoping /pivoting stands (for holding car doors and fenders at work)  could work great for the interchangeable horn idea wich has real merit, both to be useful (and to get tooling heavy) the 1" stake pockets/hardy holes I use 1-1/2" tube 1/4" wall you can chisel the weld off the inside of short lengths but a 1/2" dyna file (band file or little pnuematic belt sander) works great to get rid of the difficult to remove weld inside of steel tube