I Forge Iron

longhorn tyre iron

I thought it would be an interesting challenge to forge a longhorn bull from a heavy tyre lever. The lever is about 30mm x 10mm and 500mm long. I do not know what sort of steel it is, but as you would expect, it was pretty tough hammering. Takes a very nice polish though. It measures 220mm (8.5 inches) across the horns.

Now I have to decide what to do with it. I could turn it into an oversize hat hook I guess. Or maybe the top of a walking stick. One of the visitors to my demo today commented that you would never be able to get it past airport security as hand luggage.

I left this one as bare steel; the smaller one in the picture was done with 25mm x 10mm mild, and it has a burnished finish. I might have a go at a ram on the other end of the tyre lever. Any thoughts about a creative use for these?

big bull1.JPG

big bull2.JPG

big bull3.JPG

big bull4.JPG

Yes, door pulls sound like a good option. But NOT with tyre irons. That was too much heavy going. Maybe some 19mm x 8mm mild would work well.

I'm going to go ahead with a ram's head on the other end of the tyre iron just as a challenge. Must be a glutton for punishment. :unsure:

7 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Personally I wouldn't use them as tyre irons as I'd get stabbed time and time again in use.. 

That's for sure. :angry:

I don't like to think about it, but these things would be a lethal weapon in the wrong hands.

I started on the ram's head on the other end after today's demos. I'll do a bit more each day and then post a pic.

2 hours ago, ausfire said:

That's for sure. :angry:

I don't like to think about it, but these things would be a lethal weapon in the wrong hands.

I started on the ram's head on the other end after today's demos. I'll do a bit more each day and then post a pic.

Sorry about that.. I only read the last few posts originally that the starting stock used to be be a tyre iron..   :)      Very nice work..  How long to make each one.. 

21 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Very nice work..  How long to make each one.. 

Too long to be economically viable! Hard to assess the time accurately as I did a bit after each daily demo. A horn here, a bend there etc. Probably two or three hours easily. It's hard hammering and I only have an aging Armstrong power hammer.