I Forge Iron

Howdy....I am new to forging and have decided to build my own forge. The one thing I am having issues with is fuel. I have used coal in the past on other peoples forges

but I am having an issue finding a reliable source in central Florida.  Can commercial  charcoal be used and will it get hot enough ? I have run around the net and I have gotten no where.

Can anyone recommend an alternative ?

Thanks In advance

Doug

Lump charcoal has been used for forging at least 2500 years, the viking swords were forged using charcoal!  Around the high to late middle ages coal started to be used in parallel (Cathedral Forge and Waterwheel, Gies & Gies); but charcoal has continued to be used until this day,  Traditional Japanese swords are still forges with charcoal. Lump charcoal; briquettes are a modern monstrosity!

12 hours ago, Curious Mind said:

Howdy....I am new to forging and have decided to build my own forge. The one thing I am having issues with is fuel. I have used coal in the past on other peoples forges

but I am having an issue finding a reliable source in central Florida.  Can commercial  charcoal be used and will it get hot enough ? I have run around the net and I have gotten no where.

Can anyone recommend an alternative ?

Thanks In advance

Doug

Call the Pioneer Settlement in Barberville. (386) 749-2959 100lbs. Bag for $35.00. Check out the Florida Artist Blacksmith Association. They are on FB and the web.

1 hour ago, Curious Mind said:

all my questions have been answered and more. 

Excellent! Now, go to your profile settings and add your location there. You've already seen how important that information is for answering questions, so you don't want to have to repeat it every single time!

Welcome to IFI, and keep us posted on your progress.

I would wager that there are some Blacksmith's organizations near you. If you can join one the chances are better than even they have coal to sell members. You might start here with the FABA. Look in the resources/clinker breaker area on that site.

http://blacksmithing.org/